The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5.5 gallon tank I've recently thought about setting up, particularly looking to incorporate Peace Lily or Pothos into the scape. I'm wondering what measures I can take to be able to use an LED lamp (or lamp with bulb) to put up a foot or two above the tank, in order to light up the majority of the tank along with whatever emersed plants that are there. The tank is only 10" deep, and will be low tech, but I still wonder how to go about making sure they get sufficient light.
Note that I'm under the impression that both emersed plants are not particularly demanding in light requirements, and this is more of a stylistic choice for an open top nano tank.

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Need more info .
Tank dimensions and color preference.
Finding 4000k bulbs or less is easier than >4500k.

Hanging height , tank dimensions, color, beam angle and par all interact .

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
It's definitely doable. As Jeffkrol mentioned size of tank matters a lot for purposes of spread. The hardest part of using non-aquarium light for an aquarium is figuring out how much light you have. You can use a Lux Meter (or lux meter app for a smart phone) to figure out how much lux you have and then divide by 80. This will give you a very rough idea about par. For low tech you want 15 to 30 par at substrate (so the distance from the light that your substrate is.

Personally I prefer br30 smart bulbs. This way you can adjust the strength of the light after you install it as well as the color temperature. Here is the one of the bulbs I will be using on my 75 gallon. It will be too strong at max settings for your low tech tank but it can be adjusted in intensity until its just right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need more info .
Tank dimensions and color preference.
Finding 4000k bulbs or less is easier than >4500k.

Hanging height , tank dimensions, color, beam angle and par all interact .
Tank is fairly small, 14" L x 9" W x 10" H. I have 2' of space available above the tank for adjusting the distance of whatever hypothetical light.

It's definitely doable. As Jeffkrol mentioned size of tank matters a lot for purposes of spread. The hardest part of using non-aquarium light for an aquarium is figuring out how much light you have. You can use a Lux Meter (or lux meter app for a smart phone) to figure out how much lux you have and then divide by 80. This will give you a very rough idea about par. For low tech you want 15 to 30 par at substrate (so the distance from the light that your substrate is.

Personally I prefer br30 smart bulbs. This way you can adjust the strength of the light after you install it as well as the color temperature. Here is the one of the bulbs I will be using on my 75 gallon. It will be too strong at max settings for your low tech tank but it can be adjusted in intensity until its just right.
The app method sounds like a good idea, I could potentially use it for lights I know the par value on for better accuracy. The bulb you recommended is very affordable, and is above what I thought was possible at this range for a bulb. Thanks for this

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
The app method sounds like a good idea, I could potentially use it for lights I know the par value on for better accuracy. The bulb you recommended is very affordable, and is above what I thought was possible at this range for a bulb. Thanks for this

Now est where and how big you want the spread.
as an example say you have 20" from the front of the bulb and want to hit the water surface w/ a 14" diameter cone look for a 40 degree bulb.

Wider the angle less light anywhere near the tank.
At 20" a 120 degree floodlight throws a light circle of approx. 70"....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Can I ask why you chose that smart bulb specifically? I do not know very much on them

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Can I ask why you chose that smart bulb specifically? I do not know very much on them
I chose this one because it uses the smart life app (very common app I already had) and because of the strength of the light, I figured it would be more than bright enough for my needs (which it is)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.