The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is the 20g tall i have right now.....

i want to make it in to an environment suitable for fbt (fire-bellied toads)

i know pretty much zilch about them...
please help
give me all the info i need and anything extra yuo could give

and im emptieing it tomorrow and taking the crawdads out

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Welcome to PT!

You're gonna have to do a little more research yourself rather than just asking us! First step is to Google FBTs and see what they need to survive. Then you're going to need an idea of how you want the tank to look in your mind...THEN we can start to help you piece together ideas on how it'll be setup or what equipment to use...etc.

There's a few other people starting vivariums/paludariums on here, so check those threads out too!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
welcome.
First thing, FBT's aren't real active climbers, so i would either get a different tank, or mod that one to where it lays on the back and the front opens.

FBT's love water, think of them as a frog, but they do need land!
they eat crickets, mealworms, sometimes other stuff.
if you are gonna keep a few, make sure you feed them often, cannabalism is not an uncommon tragedy in them.

If you have a large water section, a FBnewt is sometimes a good mate. although they can get aggressive.

just google fire bellies and read for a few hours, you'll get it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You will want more horizontal and less vertical ... for the frogs. For you and asthetics, do what you will.

These guys are also known to excrete poisons that effect other fish and creatures in their tanks and can kill some creatures. They don't always make good tank mates.

They WILL eat ANYTHING they can get in their mouths, insects, other frogs, fish, rocks, twigs, bark etc.. Be forwarned.

All that aside, I'm getting ready to settup a 10 gal for my son with these guys. They don't need any special light, like desert critters but they do like it warm, mid to high 70's.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
You will want more horizontal and less vertical ... for the frogs. For you and asthetics, do what you will.

These guys are also known to excrete poisons that effect other fish and creatures in their tanks and can kill some creatures. They don't always make good tank mates.

They WILL eat ANYTHING they can get in their mouths, insects, other frogs, fish, rocks, twigs, bark etc.. Be forwarned.

All that aside, I'm getting ready to settup a 10 gal for my son with these guys. They don't need any special light, like desert critters but they do like it warm, mid to high 70's.
Are you sure about the temp? I have been reading and also found claims of them being in a temp of 64-72*.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nope ... not certain ... just parrotting what I've been reading about them in preperation for setting up the tank.

The green freogs I keep are good at room temp but seem to do better with a small heat source, like an under tank heater.

I would NOT let the temp get much above 78 ... ever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.