The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are everyone's favorite sized tanks? I was thinking about this recently, and not only my favorite tank, but among like my top 5 preferred tank sizes. I think mine would go something like this...

5. 30 breeder
4. 55 gallon
3. 40 long
2. 40 breeder
1. 33 long

I set up a 33 long last March not knowing if I would really like it or not, but the ease of maintenance and size made me fall in love with it. I also really like the 40 long. But usually for some reason they are always ridiculously priced no matter where I see them. That being said, I like my tanks generally in the 30-55 range. Though a 75 or larger is wonderful if you ask me, I would much prefer a smaller sized tank for commitment reasons. Easier to tear down a 30-40 gallon tank, replace the substrate or anything like that than in a much larger tank.

·
Registered
129 Posts
For all around - either a 75 or 90 (48x18) The additional 6" front to back over a 55 allows so much more flexibility. Being 4 feet long, lighting fits easily, no issues with overhangs or short lights.

That said, I love the aspect ratio of height to length of my 180, 6 feet long, by 2 feet high just looks "right" to my eye.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really enjoy my 75 and 40 breeder. The 18 inch depth is the key for me specifically and scaping.
Same! I used to have a couple 40 breeders (36"x18"16"), great footprint, more ground space than a 55g. 18" front to back really helps, especially when rockscaping.

But my favorite is the 75g (48"x18"x21"). I used to have one, and now I have a 90g, the only difference is it's 3" taller. Those extra 3" are a burden when trying to reach in the tank to grab something on the bottom. But again, 18" front to back allows for nice aquascaping / rockwork, and the 48" tank opens up the possibility for many more fish species vs the 40b.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I like my 75, just because there's more room to work with. I'm starting to see the appeal of nano tanks... However, if I had to choose between my 75 and my 2 55s... I'd choose the 55s. The distance from front to back seems just about right to display my scape, and showcase the critters in it.

The 75 seems almost too deep, easy to lose focus from front to back in a heavily planted tank. I am thinking of re-scaping it this coming summer, and going with a big piece of wood and larger schooling fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts