The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 gallon fresh water planted, 30 gallon shrimp tank, 55 gallon community tank.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for everyone's opinions on their planted tank substrates. Good and bad experiences are equally appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used seachem eco complete and have no real problems with it I was just wondering if anyone had any substrates that they've actusy loved

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
Either go black diamond or black beauty blasting sand with or without dirt for something cheap or ADA aquasoil

Disclaimer: I hate eco complete

Reactions: thedood

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
Inconsistent, not heavy enough, no real benefit over just using normal sand. Grain sizes range from like 1 - 10mm in diameter so you just end up with the gravel size bits on top over time. This makes it less than ideal for carpet plants. Not heavy enough to hold down plants very well. Some of my new plants (like blyxa) would tend to float up all the time. You get just as good results in a cheap, heavy, consistent sand that costs 1/10 as much.

Reactions: thedood

·
Registered
42 Posts
Inconsistent, not heavy enough, no real benefit over just using normal sand. Grain sizes range from like 1 - 10mm in diameter so you just end up with the gravel size bits on top over time. This makes it less than ideal for carpet plants. Not heavy enough to hold down plants very well. Some of my new plants (like blyxa) would tend to float up all the time. You get just as good results in a cheap, heavy, consistent sand that costs 1/10 as much.
So what are your thoughts on Seachem Fluorite Black? I could get some ADA Amazonia but that's what's locally available for me.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm a fan of Eco-Complete. Granted i've only had it for a couple of months - but I like its grain size so far.

I used to be a fan of MGOPM capped with Black Diamond - but grew tired of the messes it creates when replanting or scaping. Plus, I didn't like having to worry about the pockets of decompossed matter building up.

I switched to Eco and use root tabs now. Much happier

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have four tanks with Black diamond blasting sand. one with dirt under, and one with flourite under and the other 2 just the blasting sand.

I have eco-complete (rip-off) in my 120
and a mish-mash in the other tanks....

I would say the ecco-complete is my LEAST favorite... I don't think you get the bang for the buck

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I like Eco-Complete the grain size makes it look natural, and my plants hold well in it. It is nice for carpet plants, as they attach really well to the pits and holes in the grains

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I will side with the dirt capped with sand crowd. I have dirt capped with bdbs in both of my planted tanks and bdbs alone in one of my rift lake cichlid tanks. As a noob to planted tanks I have found the dirt to be forgiving of my inexperience and makes my life simpler as it already has nutrients for a low tech tank and the sand dirt combo holds plants down well.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have had ecocomplete for about a year and a half and I like the look and all my plants with the exception of my DHG and Monte Carlo plant and grow very well in it. Could be other factors for the carpet not spreading well as I have seen many beautiful carpets with ecocomplete. On my next tank I will use bdbs with osmocote+

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
<-Eco-complete

I've used it for many years at this point, and haven't had issue's with planting anything. I'm also very involved with my tanks, with constant re-scaping, replanting, moving, and it's great for hands on people. There's no clouds of whatever tornado'n anytime i want to do tank work.
If you don't like the gaps between eco grains, add petco black sand to mix in.

I have a tank with eco that's been running over 5 years, never had to replace. I would say the opposite of a rip-off, for me anyways.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I started out with MGOPS capped with Eco-Complete. It grew plants well but it was way too messy, I have burrowing fish that would turn the canister into a mud bath in a week. I had to switch tanks and am now using Flourite black sand and CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand as a cap over some fish pond planting soil to cut down on costs a little. I really would like to use ADA but do not want to have to bother with replacing it every few years if it breaks down, which seems to be possible, but not always going to happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You guys all mention "dirt" called with something else. That caught my interest. What type??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.