The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to see what everyone's (or your fish's) favorite live food is?

Microworms?

Grindals?

Blackworms?

Daphnia?

Etc

I've personally used both Microworms and Daphnia before. The fish went absolutely nuts over both. Too bad my Daphnia culture died off because I wasn't experienced in raising them. Microworms are still going strong. My German Blue Ram gets pretty aggressive when I feed the tank the worms. :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I like daphnia. I went the worm route and it was too much work. I raise daphnia to keep my apistos happy.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have some fish who really enjoyed Japanese beetles. There's a certain pleasure in destroying the little critters that way, but I worried about the fish's innards. Those beetles are pretty crunchy. Still, any fish that hasn't been bred to pure mush ought to be able to digest a beetle if it's inclined to eat one. Nature isn't beetle-free.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My fish liked daphnia when I raised them. But they really love mosquito larva, which I get for free from a barrel in my back yard.

Oddly enough I have some blood worms growing in my fairy shrimp container. Fish like the bloodworms too. But the danios are so fast hardly anyone else gets any live food.

Oh, and since I have so many cherry shrimp, I feed them to my clown loach. Since I started doing that my loach has really bright orange fins, brighter than when I first bought him.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have some fish who really enjoyed Japanese beetles. There's a certain pleasure in destroying the little critters that way, but I worried about the fish's innards. Those beetles are pretty crunchy. Still, any fish that hasn't been bred to pure mush ought to be able to digest a beetle if it's inclined to eat one. Nature isn't beetle-free.
I'd be worried that the beetles may have come into contact with pesticides/fertilizers, etc.

Tommy <9))>>{

·
Registered
85 Posts
Blackworms, ive never seen my discus so active going after these things. And theyre cheap.
Where are they cheap?

And yes to a previous question, they are wingless fruitflies. On and off I've kept them. You can buy starter cultures from Petsmart pretty cheaply. If you buy the food and learn to seed new cultures it can be fun and cheap.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In fact, I sweet talked the girls who worked in my local petsmart to give me all the dirty plastic containers they sell the cultures in. If they don't sell the cultures in time they die out and the store throws them away.

You can re-use these containers.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Where are they cheap?

And yes to a previous question, they are wingless fruitflies. On and off I've kept them. You can buy starter cultures from Petsmart pretty cheaply. If you buy the food and learn to seed new cultures it can be fun and cheap.
My lfs sells me, I would say about 2cups for about 5$. It last me about a month with 6 adult discus feeding 2times a day(when I get them).

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
And yes to a previous question, they are wingless fruitflies. On and off I've kept them. You can buy starter cultures from Petsmart pretty cheaply. If you buy the food and learn to seed new cultures it can be fun and cheap.[/QUOTE]

Cool! I didn't know they had them. I been wanting to try them out.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Blackworms

I finally found a LPS in NYC with genuine Blackworms
since most of them are selling red Tubifex worms.

Blackworms keep much longer in the fridge
if you are smart enough not to drown them first,
while only loosing nutritional value each day.

Blackworms do not burrow down in to your substrate
like Tubifex worms will do almost immediately.

Blackworms will stay in a tight ball together,
while many Tubifex will break away and explore.

Blackworms keep wiggling a good day in your tank
before drowning, and even nipped off pieces of
them will continue to wiggle and attract fish.

Blackworms are thin enough to attract a 1cm fish
while most are long enough to satisfy a 10cm fish.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Black worms

LOL, you should ask for what type of fish too ;). (kinda like the little dog, big dog commercial),

My discus love black worms :)

(my fish will have to do without for a week though, we're having guests and don't want them to see the worm keeper in the fridge :icon_roll :eek5: :icon_redf )

Tina

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.