The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your favorite background plants? I'm looking for slow growing plants that won't take constant trimming and uprooting of the substrate. I don't mind trimming, but I'm getting tired of uprooting major league root balls like the Giant Hygro I had. What are your favorites?

Thanks for your input!

Tom

·
Registered
88 Posts
C. spiralis has big monster root that have the same length with the plant itself. I love Crinum (calamistratum, thaianum, natans) and Rubin very much for background.. Don't need uprooting, just insert 2 - 3 root tablets around the plant, and they'll grow happily.. :)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'm thinking of doing giant hairgrass as a background...anyone have any ideas about that? I've tried in another tank and it turned brown and died. I can only conclude that there was insufficient light...but in a 18G with 130w total, that should be enough right? I've love to do that instead of some Vals.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Tom, pretty much any slow growing stem that does not spread horizontally will make for a great background plant. the slowest mostly vertical growth stem plants I have encountered thus far include;
Hemigraphis traian
Micranthemum umbrosum
Ludwigia Guinea
Val's seem to be popular for the way their leaf blades arch together with your water movement when they reach the surface, and may block the least amount of light while up there.
another idea is to make your tank back a moss wall, or a wall of Anubias.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I love using Giant Hairgrass. Grows slow and doesn't require stem trimming. Plus no ugly water roots. You'll have to control the runners since they can get invasive but even the runners don't grow excessively fast. Once it reaches the surface it will arch and move like vals do and they block a minimal amount of light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts