The Planted Tank Forum banner
161 - 174 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
I switched out the metal pipes for the glass lily and intake. I like the way the water flows with the glass lily pipe. I also like that I can see through these pipes and they’re a minimal footprint visually. I have reduce the amount of CO2 in the tank. I think that I always have a good constant level of CO2 and maybe too good and that’s when the BBA takes advantage. I am seeing it on spots of driftwood and sometimes in areas of high flow including the inflow and outflow. so the lighting is around 10% and the CO2 has been reduced as well as the overall current in the tank. Everything seems to be growing very well and I am loving this scape.

(The lighting in the picture below is at 4%. It is really crazy how powerful this light is)

Plant Rectangle Wood Line Grass

·
Registered
799 Posts
Looks great, OP. Very clean, and the triangular shape of the scape works really well in this tank. Love it.

The glass pipes really do get out of the way visually. I enjoyed them a lot more once I realized it was really easy to pop them out of the tubing and clean them. You have to push the tubing onto the pipe until it 'pops' and then you can slide it right off! You may already know that, but it made a huge difference for me so I thought I'd mention it anyway :)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Looks great! especially with the wood being more dominant in height, etc over the plants.

The glass pipes really do get out of the way visually. I enjoyed them a lot more once I realized it was really easy to pop them out of the tubing and clean them. You have to push the tubing onto the pipe until it 'pops' and then you can slide it right off! You may already know that, but it made a huge difference for me so I thought I'd mention it anyway :)
Yep, never twist, push straight in toward the tubing and straight out, otherwise breakage. Sometimes with the return lily pipe I don't even take it off the tank. I clean it from the bulb side and put a small bucket when I start it back up to catch debris. Good for quick cleaning.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Looks great, OP. Very clean, and the triangular shape of the scape works really well in this tank. Love it.

Thanks so much! I‘ve always wanted to go for a triangle type scape. I‘ve always liked the look of them in a 60p. It’s also been so much more enjoyable with the reduced lighting and maintenance. The fish and shrimp and plants are happy. I hear you about pushing the pipe up until it pops. I’ve broken many in my time. Sometimes just by accidentally dropping them or pushing too hard….sometimes I’ve had weak ones that just become too brittle over time. But I think with this setup the pipes will stay clean for longer. I like seeing the whole tank without the metal pipes in there but love their durability. Glad you like the scape!!

Looks great! especially with the wood being more dominant in height, etc over the plants.

Yep, never twist, push straight in toward the tubing and straight out, otherwise breakage. Sometimes with the return lily pipe I don't even take it off the tank. I clean it from the bulb side and put a small bucket when I start it back up to catch debris. Good for quick cleaning.
Thanks!! Yeah, the less I have to mess with disconnecting the pipes the better for me. I too will clean the outflow without detaching the pipes. I think I’m going to bite the bullet and invest in an ADA spring washer. The other spring washers I have used in the past are either too stiff or too brittle over time. I thought about covering the wood with moss but I like the contrast of the dark pieces with the green plants. I chopped the peacock moss up with a knife and glued it to some stones that I placed along the bottom level that has provided a nice addition to the tank. Keeping the moss lower in the water column has kept the algae at bay during their startup. I’m also finding the peacock moss growing now on different pieces of wood from where little moss pieces have separated from the stones. I saw an older video of Amano rubbing moss that he chopped up over stones without using any glue or thread to keep it in place during a dry start and in not time the moss attached. Pretty amazing the nature of this type of plant.

Turning down the CO2 and adjusting the flow with the lily pipe has helped so far in keeping any leftover over BBA at bay. I introduced this into my water when I purchased some bolbitis off of Etsy of all places. That plant has been really really hard to get. I received the correct version of Bolbitis H. from a member here. I cut all the old leaves off and let the plant re-establish new shoots from the rhizome which has provided much healthier growth. The same goes for the mini trident java ferns in this tank. There‘s a rhizome of standard java fern that has found its way into the cluster which I don’t know if I want to mix in with the other ferns. But then again, it grows so slowly I’m not sure what harm it would do other than visually. The Juncus Repens has been an awesome addition too. I love that it doesn’t send out runners.

Upon closer reflection of the tank before, I think I was overdoing my co2, especially when the lighting was lowered in intensity and the fast growing stems were removed. I was providing way too much co2 throughout the tank and the co2 that wasn’t being used by the plants was feeding the BBA growth on the wood. Also the high flow was spreading the spores around the tank so I never was able to really get the upper hand. I don’t mind seeing it here and there but I went away for two weeks a few months ago and when I got back it had taken over. I had reduced the lighting while I was away but didn’t reduce the co2 and low and behold the BBA thrived. I still occasionally spot treat with h2o2 but would like to shy away from that method. I have retired any use of excel as it can cause too much melt. I also notice a huge difference in activity of the fauna in the tank when I introduce h2o2 or excel. The h2o2 has more of a subtle change on the water column when I use it as an algicide, but the bolbitis can tolerate it only for so long.

Thanks again for the comments. All the best!!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I saw an older video of Amano rubbing moss that he chopped up over stones without using any glue or thread to keep it in place during a dry start and in not time the moss attached. Pretty amazing the nature of this type of plant
That's interesting. I could definitely see it attaching quicker emersed. Submersed it seems to take much longer, but the less moss you use the easier I've found it attaches. And of course if the surface of the rock/wood is rough and has crevices.

Meant to ask if you know what PAR you running (sorry if I missed it) without the light only at a small fraction of it's intensity.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
That's interesting. I could definitely see it attaching quicker emersed. Submersed it seems to take much longer, but the less moss you use the easier I've found it attaches. And of course if the surface of the rock/wood is rough and has crevices.

Meant to ask if you know what PAR you running (sorry if I missed it) without the light only at a small fraction of it's intensity.
Sorry I didn’t respond sooner. I didn’t see your reply till just now. I wish I knew what the par was for the light at such low intensity. I’ve reduced the intensity just a little bit more so the tank is running with light over it for around 10 hours with a 2 hour ramp up and 2 hour ramp down with a maximum of 8% intensity. It’s still extremely effective and I sometimes run a background light as well.

None of these plants are very light demanding. I wish I knew what I know now about lighting back when I first started many many many years ago (way before wpg and pc bulbs). This lamp is so powerful…even the lamp over my mini m is extremely powerful that running either of them at full blast would be so foolish. The biggest thing I have gleaned so far from all of my tanks is that slow and low seem to be the way to go with these tanks. Unless I am trying to bring out a ton of red stems, this method is by far the best and least problematic. I feel like I get to appreciate my aquariums so much more. Patience is the real art form here.

I added some ADA Cryptocoryne Parva to the back left corner of the tank and mixed it in with the crypt. wendtii kompakt. I also added some small sprigs in and around some of the rocks. Added some more Pygmy cories as well. I don’t think there is much more to add for flora and fauna in here. Really loving how it is coming together. The Bolbitis has adapted to these parameters and I am loving how it is growing. The Juncus repens is filling in nicely and makes a really interesting “marsh-like” addition. Added some to my mini m in my kids room and will update that journal shortly.

best!

Fat Guy

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Just an update- lights at 5-6% 9 hours a day and 2 hour ramp. Everything is healthily growing. So happy with the low maintenance setup. Love the way the bolbitis and other ferns look (especially from the top the mini trident leaves look really cool). Thanks for looking.

Plant Cabinetry Light Rectangle Wood

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
This is looking really good.

It's great when you can get a tank to a point that its enjoyment to work ratio is really high... frees up capacity for another tank!
Hahahahaha!! Thanks!! And that’s always the running joke in my house!! My kids love the idea of getting another tank!! (My other half not so much)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I need to get my UNS 60U to be like this, low maintenance but beautiful!

161 - 174 of 174 Posts