The Planted Tank Forum banner
141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Hi friend

you convinced me to buy the WRGB II 60.

I already had the twinstar 600S (first version) but I don't really like the colors. I hope I don't regret it.

Do you have the light at full capacity?
Hey!! Nice! I think the light will be an awesome
upgrade from the twinstar. It has more capabilities and you will have more control. I think it is more versatile for sure. Where did you buy yours from?

I have had zero issues with mine since the purchase and the app works great. I don’t run mine any more than 50% and have it raised as high as it will go on risers that it comes with.

My current settings are 40 Red 20 Green and 20 Blue. I found that I needed to turn it down to under 50% because of the plant growth being too rapid and i wanted less maintenance overall over the summer here.

Hope you like your light. I have zero regrets thus far.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Quick update. Lowered light intensity to so slow down maintenance and added some hydrocotyle tripartita from the mini m just for fun. Super easy maintenance. Fish are happy feeding 2-3 times a week with an occasional shrimp pellet. Filter cleaned once every 2-3 months. Fert dosing dependent on plant needs. Lower the light intensity equaling less demand. CO2 always constant 1.5 hours before lights up and 1.5 hours off before lights down. 5-6 hour photoperiod. RO water with epsom salts added for Mg and using the seiryu stone as the only additional calcium source. Working great. Thanks for looking.

el g

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
After a few years with just rocks I’ve decided to pull them and to do a nature aquarium style tank with black spiderwood. Added some trident ferns, baby leaf bolbitis, varius buces and anubias and more hydrocotyle trisparta (which ive really grown to love). Low light, hopefully low maintenance. Added a red racer nerite snail which looks awesome in the light I have over the tank. Im enjoying the black wood and the scale of it in the tank. Cardinals and otos seem to prefer it as well. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
i spent more time today rescaping. Once you start messing with the wood it’s hard not to change it up all together. In a perfect world I would start over from scratch but I’ve spent too much time growing the foreground plants. More pics to follow soon.

This driftwood looks really nice!
thanks!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Did a major trip of the marsilea and DHG parvula to reset the foreground and to encourage new growth. Also added some cyperus helferi to the back corner behind the driftwood. I received and excellent bunch of Pygmy corys that really seem to tie the fauna together when viewing the aquarium.

best, el g

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Finally got my hands on some bolbitis h. (The non deformis variety). It’s turning into a really hard plant to get here in the US and is sold out pretty much everywhere online. I heard from a supplier that they haven’t been able to get an affordable supply of it since midway through COVID. Got mine through Etsy of all places…imagine that. Anyvay! Really excited about it!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Did a serious rescape. I felt like I was getting a lot of organic waste build up in the old scape. I removed about a 5 gallon bucket’s worth of old soil and after a gajillion water changes and some Colorado sand later I’ve finally settled on this next layout. I pulled pretty much all of the Marsilea and DHG. The hair grass is a real pain in the butt after trimming. I feel like I’m always picking stray clippings out every day. I may have lost a shrimp or two during the process but I am really happy with the depth that this new scape provides. The corys like the sand too. Shout out to Bob‘s tropical fish in LA. Light currently at 20% but I may go even lower with the setting. Thanks for looking.

Plant Property Light Rectangle Wood

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 · (Edited)
Really like the rescape!

I'm kind of over dhg at this point as well. I am looking forward to getting it out of all of my tanks.
Thanks!! I’m really digging it too. I just chopped up some peacock moss and glued them onto some small rocks and placed in the front. Super happy with this.

I hear you about the DHG. I added some Juncus Repens in the back where the DHG used to be and am liking the way it looks more. So far so good.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Everything is growing in slowly but surely. Really really enjoying this process and this layout. Looking forward to the Juncus Repens acclimating from tissue culture to submerged plant. I’ve got it in my mini m now too. Plants are happy this week as I’m still dialing it in. I’ve been focusing on better gaseous exchange as well as providing a microbe lift addition that has done wonders in the water. Thanks to the friends at GLA for their suggestion. Can’t believe I didn’t add it to the water column sooner. Beneficial bacteria is our (smelly) friend. It’s definitely helped manage the organic waste in an older substrate.

Lights at 17-20% which seems to be the sweet spot for the plants in this layout.

Plant Property Water Light Rectangle

·
Registered
615 Posts
Looks good, I've enjoyed this scape over the years. Very impressive hardscape. Bolbitis h is one of my all time favs. I'll be following to see how it works in this setup with that type of hardscape. Once the Bolbitis settles in it can take over a tank very quickly especially with co2.
Every once in a while I take it out and trim every frond off down to the rhizome. It seems to grow in smaller after that.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 · (Edited)
Looks good, I've enjoyed this scape over the years. Very impressive hardscape. Bolbitis h is one of my all time favs. I'll be following to see how it works in this setup with that type of hardscape. Once the Bolbitis settles in it can take over a tank very quickly especially with co2.
Hey Thanks!! I'm digging the hardscape too. I really like the Bolbitis H. I'm looking forward to it filling in. I've got some mini trident fern in the middle between them as well. I've got a lot of rhizomes in there for sure so we shall see how quickly it takes over. I'm going to stay on top of it and trim the fronds to keep it in check if it gets going too fast.

I definitely have two different (possibly three) different varieties in there. The regular bolbitis h. that I got a great portion of from a member here. And then I have what looks like a narrow leaf variety and a baby leaf variety. The narrow leaf variety was shipped via an online vendor and labeled bolbitis H. but it is definitely not the same. I spoke with another vendor who was saying that the plant is really hard to import now due to the elevated shipping costs because of the pandemic so they aren't ordering it till the costs go down. Same word from a LFS here in LA.

Every once in a while I take it out and trim every frond off down to the rhizome. It seems to grow in smaller after that.
That's a great idea. Right now all the bolbitis has some bba on the leaf edges that came with the plant when I received it. I've been spot treating it and will eventually snip these fronds off with the BBA as the new fronds are starting to shoot out. I just like the look of the plants too much to chop it down at the moment. It may mean more BBA trouble down the line, but my co2 is up and my lights are low and my organics are in check so hopefully it will only be a matter of time.

I'm hesitate to use excel on this plant and want to prevent any melt. The H2O2 has been doing the trick thus far.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
trimmed back the bolbitis h and many many new branches are emerging from the rhizomes. I trimmed it back to the rhizome because of some BBA that was forming on the old leaves. The new leaves are now reflecting the transition to my water parameters and lighting setup. I’m currently running my light intensity at around 12% for 10 hours a day with a one hour ramp up and ramp down. This Chihiros light is incredibly powerful and just awesome. Everything is starting to grow in nicely. I’m fine with the lower light intensity and lower amount of CO2 which has really had a positive effect on all the tank inhabitants. The tank is really cool to look at in person. Enjoying this style so much. Video posted below (hopefully the playback works)…

·
Registered
799 Posts
trimmed back the bolbitis h and many many new branches are emerging from the rhizomes. I trimmed it back to the rhizome because of some BBA that was forming on the old leaves. The new leaves are now reflecting the transition to my water parameters and lighting setup. I’m currently running my light intensity at around 12% for 10 hours a day with a one hour ramp up and ramp down. This Chihiros light is incredibly powerful and just awesome. Everything is starting to grow in nicely. I’m fine with the lower light intensity and lower amount of CO2 which has really had a positive effect on all the tank inhabitants. The tank is really cool to look at in person. Enjoying this style so much. Video posted below (hopefully the playback works)…

Tank looks great!

141 - 160 of 174 Posts