The Planted Tank Forum banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
You’re rotala looks amazing. Very clean tank!
Thanks!! It’s been a lot of fun adding this plant and seeing how it likes to grow! I actually just turned my lights down because i felt like it was growing too fast.

I’ve reduced my lighting intensity to 45 R 20 G and 30 B on my Chihiros WRGB2. I still really really love this light and the shades on it. Easy enough to use app and the light runs cool.

I’m gonna let the Marsilea grow where it wants and let it mix with the two types of DHG. It looks a lot like glosso buy every now and then it sends a heart shaped leaf out which I dig. I have two different types of DHG in the tank I have mini and parvula... but they both seem to be growing around the same height. low. Maybe by reducing the light intensity the parvula in the back will get taller. I have also moved the S repens to the front of the rock in the pocket there near the crypts. It’s lower light in that section so maybe it will fill in taller as opposed to being so compact.

thanks for looking!

el g

·
Registered
615 Posts
I missed when you got the upgraded light but the difference is outstanding. Definitely a power upgrade, and the true red channel on the Chihiros just shows off reds better than the pink channel on the Fluval 3.0

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
I missed when you got the upgraded light but the difference is outstanding. Definitely a power upgrade, and the true red channel on the Chihiros just shows off reds better than the pink channel on the Fluval 3.0
Hey!! Thanks for the comment. Totally. The Chihiros is an amazing upgrade and the red channel on it is superb. I’ve actually had to seriously reduce the light on the tank to slow down the growth of the plants. Did a major trim of the H’RA and replanted the tops which are pink/red now. I want to wait at least a month between H’RA trims, but at the rate of growth for the plant, it was more like 3 weeks. I’m also interested in just letting the plant grow wild and see if it will branch out of the water. Current RGB settings are 35 R 20G 25B and so far so good. Such a pleasing light.

Here’s a recent pic. (Artwork on the walls courtesy of my children!)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pride Rock with Vids!!

Update for this week. I should probably just start my own blog, but I've been using Planted Tank to document my progress in the hobby and to share it with others.

Added 17 Cardinal Tetras and moved the CPD to my friend's tank. These fish are so beautiful together.

I purchased plants from a member on this forum and when they arrived they were in terrible shape. They were slimy and translucent.I floated them in my tank hoping that they would rebound and in one day I had green spot algae and hair algae on the plants that were sent.The old me would have hoped for the best and waited to see if they rebounded.But after many years in the hobby I knew these plants were melting and creating world of problems so I took them out and threw them away.It'll probably be the last time I buy plants on this forum.I'm sure that when they were clipped they were in good condition, but they were shipped in a box with no insulation and I think that's what caused them to go into shock.They were shipped cross country to the Southwest here and probably sat on a hot truck in transit for too long.[censored] So I pretty much paid for an algae bloom. Live and learn.

On the positive side I did have a chance to visit my favorite LFS here in LA and picked up some healthier plants.
Added:Bacopa Colorata; Cryptocoryne Crispatula; Cryptocoryne wendtii Kompakt; Brazillian Pennywort.

My Java Fern and S. Repens are doing great!
Also went to Home Depot and got some 1/2" tubing for my lily pipes so I could get the Eheim 2211 to sit on the floor. The tubing works great and fitted it on my CalAqua Lily Pipes from six yeas ago.
One of the best investments for this tank has been the dimmer from Beamworks. I'm running these LEDs at half the intensity and have the blue lights come on at night at 1/10th the intensity. It's nice to have control over the light intensity as the plants in this tank are very low maintenance.Want to get them growing slow and steady.The light is like a gas pedal, so I'm laying off of it to keep things in balance.

For anybody who is interested in this journal here are some vids.I pushed the rock on the left down a bit further into the substrate to balance out the layout more effectively.I can watch these fish for hours.

nighttime cardinal tetras!!

Wow! Beautiful tank! Well done!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
They are amazing artists already!! One of mine has flown the coup and the other is a teenager that liked to roll her eyes at me 😂 enjoy them while they are still happy!!
Hahaha!! thanks so much!! they grow up incredibly fast for sure!!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Back to classic iwagumi. I was going to rescape the entire tank with driftwood...TBH that probably would have been much easier. However I wanted to keep the M carpet and dhg. So buh-bye rotala h’ra (loved loved you but you were a lot work) and back to the rock.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Back to classic iwagumi. I was going to rescape the entire tank with driftwood...TBH that probably would have been much easier. However I wanted to keep the M carpet and dhg. So buh-bye rotala h’ra (loved loved you but you were a lot work) and back to the rock.
View attachment 1029446

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Looks great! Thanks for keeping us updated on this tank, I liked all of the scapes! And if you're ever looking to sell some of that Marsilea, let me know. I miss having that plant and it is hard to find nowadays.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Looks great! Thanks for keeping us updated on this tank, I liked all of the scapes! And if you're ever looking to sell some of that Marsilea, let me know. I miss having that plant and it is hard to find nowadays.
hey thanks a lot! Appreciate it!! Next time i thin out the marsilea i’ll let you know and can send some your way.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Added some E. acicularis tall to the back right. Ive got three types of grasses in here. Parvula, acicularis mini and now acicularis tall. Fish and plants are happy and healthy and staghorn appears only on the older leaves of some marsilea and shows up the most when the fish are overfed. I feed mainly 2-3 times per week...more like every other day if you count the shrimp pellet that I toss in. I have had zero issues with fish health and find that to be the optimal balance with the flora and fauna in these tanks. I got into it with a member on this forum who argued that fish should be fed 2-3 times per day. That’s just not the case for the fish I keep and the fully planted ecosystems i create for them. There are other things that my cardinals eat other than fish food in my tank...they will munch on plants...detritus worms...my pygmy cories would even eat diatoms...it’s all about balance and observation of the fish and the plants. But to feed my cardinals 2-3 times per day would be a recipe for algal disaster and add to poor water quality. But to each their own. There is so much information and miss information that exists out there...And YouTube university can be a great blessing and curse. But we need to keep in mind that these tanks are little science experiments and we as aquarists must adjust accordingly depending on what we add or take away to these cubes of water. Our plant and fish health don’t lie. So we observe and adjust and strive for equilibrium and be wary of too much internet chatter and false gurus along the way.

Filter cleaned every two months or so but depends on other variables. Very happy with this layout in particular and it’s progression. i’ve been keeping planted tanks since 2003... back when I started on this forum. Before that I used to keep Oscars and other cichlids and then progressed to discus and altum angels in larger tanks. I have learned a lot along the way and much prefer the planted aspect of the hobby. Much love to those that follow and those that don’t.

best, el g

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi friend

you convinced me to buy the WRGB II 60.

I already had the twinstar 600S (first version) but I don't really like the colors. I hope I don't regret it.

Do you have the light at full capacity?

121 - 140 of 174 Posts