The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gallon with 5 buenos aires tetras, 3 congos, 3 tiger barbs, 2 pictus, and a blood parrot that i took from a friend closing down his tank. 1 of the buenos look like its really fat and for some reason every barb i get turns out that way as well. I feed once a day in the morning and im wondering why this is. I recently saw some clear smallworms on the exposed glass just above my water line. But none in the water column. Could it be the worms? Or just the fish stopped up like constipated...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do you have a picture?

If you're worried about constipation, try feeding your fish a de-shelled pea. Microwave a frozen pea in some tank water, let it cool, take off the shell and smush it in the tank.
But it could be something else.

What exactly are you feeding and what's the water quality like?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nitrates - between 40/80
Nitrites - 0
Very hard water...
KH - 0
PH -6.8

I cant figure out how to upload pics from my phone at the moment. But thats what my water readings came out to be when i tested them just now...

·
Registered
501 Posts
The worms on the glass are probably Planaria & are non parasitic & have nothing to do with the fat fish . However dropsy which is a bacterial disease makes fish puff out in the belly area & can live a long time like that. Dropsy is contagious. That being said, the fish could be overfed or constipated as well. Keep an eye on them & always quarantine fish before you put them in your tank with other healthy fish.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah they eat like they have never tasted food before. they seem perfectly healthy and such no weird behaviors. swim around just fine. none of my other fish seem to have this happen to them just everytime i get a schooling group in my tank this happens to 1 or 2 of them which makes me think these little guys are carrying eggs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts