The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a community tank with some new young rummy nose tetras and kuhli loaches that need food and six established black skirt tetras that eat like piranhas. One of the black skirts is visibly fat and is going to give herself a heart attack if she doesn’t stop. I feed twice a day, flakes in morning and flakes and some sinking food in evening. Here’s what I’ve tried to level the playing field:

1) Breaking up the flake food so there’s more smaller pieces so the rummies have a chance to catch some before it’s all gone. This does seem to work but I’m still over feeding the black skirts.

2) I break up the algae wafers but the black skirts pick them up off the substrate and swim around with them (it’s hysterical, they look like their playing football as they fight over the chunks) and the kuhlis never get to them.

3) I tried shrimp pellets, same thing.

4) I tried feeding at night, literally waited till 11pm (2 hours after the light goes out!) and the black skirts still grabbed it. They apparently don’t sleep!

So what else can I try? Anyone else ever have this problem?

·
Registered
61 Posts
You could feed baby brine shrimp or go to your local baitshop and buy some leaf worms and chop them up. Drop just a few pieces in at a time. This works with my Serpae Tetras.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got some frozen blood worms and dropped some in after the light went off. The black skirts swam over and then decided they were uninterested. Hopefully the kuhli’s eat them up during their noodle party tonight!

They did seem awfully big though, not sure how the kuhli’s would eat them… was I supposed to cut them up or something? I guess I’ll find out tomorrow morning if there’s a scattering of bloodworms on the sand still.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I use a piece of clear hard plastic tube, I think it is a uplift tube from an under gravel filter, I put the end at a spot near the back of the tank and drop the wafers down the tube. Once they all hit the bottom , pull the tube out. May take a time or 2 but the bottom feeders will learn where the food is going to land and the other fish usually lose interest once they see they can't get the food. Just a thought.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use a piece of clear hard plastic tube, I think it is a uplift tube from an under gravel filter, I put the end at a spot near the back of the tank and drop the wafers down the tube. Once they all hit the bottom , pull the tube out. May take a time or 2 but the bottom feeders will learn where the food is going to land and the other fish usually lose interest once they see they can't get the food. Just a thought.
This is a great idea! I’ll try that, thanks!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts