The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the astest frowing free floating free floating plant. I have some fox tail (I think) that grow like crazy, when properly light. I did search the site and went through several pages but did not find the answer.

Thnx,
John

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The name of the free floating plant I have is Hornwort. I think it must be the fastest growing plant.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that stuff "water hyacinth" grows all over in the canals, and bayous around here.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i can take a dip net and scoop up duckweed by the 5 gallon bucket fulls. I feed it to my chickens. they love it

·
Registered
397 Posts
Very fast growing floaters include Bladderwort, and hydrilla, (and other plants called waterweed) duckweed, hornwort, and stuff. Star duckweed grows slower than normal duckweed. I think star duckweed is an exquisite species. It lives under the surface rather than on top.

Waterweeds like egeria najas don't float very well but they don't HAVE to be rooted.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Maybe Carolina Fanwort (Cabomba caroliniana). It is a stem plant, but it can grow floating as well, in my tank I've trimmed it to 1"-2" above the substrate and had it back along the surface in 5 days (18"). I think if you stare at the tank for more than 5 minutes, you will see it grow.

That being said, i don't think there is one "fastest" growing plant as plants grow differently under different conditions and it would be almost impossible to truly measure all plants and which is the fastest.

·
Registered
567 Posts
i can take a dip net and scoop up duckweed by the 5 gallon bucket fulls. I feed it to my chickens. they love it
Great idea! I should try that with mine. I wonder if they'll eat green hygro too lol.

Duckweed is probably one of the fastest growing, I agree. Green hygro also will grow at a very high rate, either planted or floating. (Mine grows about an inch a day)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yep, I got one or two pieces once accidentally with some plants I ordered. I did not even see them when I planted the new plants. Then a week later I was wondering why these little things had grown a half inch thick over the whole surface of my water!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I agree with Brazilian Pennywort. I was disappointed when I first got them from an online retailer, cuz they looked like scrawny asparagus sprouts and nothing like the pictures, but after just throwing them in the water with the lead weights keeping them down, they have bloomed in to my favorite plant in the tank and it grows noticeably from the time I leave work in the morning to the time I arrive home (9am - 5pm). Pretty plant, don't have to actually plant them in the substrate, and they grow well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.