The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What plant will give me the fastest thick carpet, low to med lighting with DIY Co2, about 1bps on a 64Litre, I have java moss but it hasn't grown for months, temp is 26-27 and the water is hard, Thanks

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Baby tears (Hemianthus Glomeratus, formerly known as HM) grow pretty quick to form a carpet. :D But since you are using low-medium light, it may not creep, so you would have to trim and plant to create a carpet yourself.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Low to medium light dont go hand in hand with fast growth. HM will not creep at all under medium light. DGH grows like weed in my high tech. Maybe in medium it might be moderately fast, at the most. Someone with similar tank conditions can best suggest here.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers, from what I've read I stand no chance at baby tears, I'll wait for some more suggestions before deciding, I don't have enough patience too wait a two years for a carpet!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Cheers, from what I've read I stand no chance at baby tears, I'll wait for some more suggestions before deciding, I don't have enough patience too wait a two years for a carpet!
If you cannot wait to grow you own there are two options, option one, is to increase your lights, fertilizers and add co2, you can quickly grow out a carpet like that.

Your second option is to buy a preformed mat of plant to fit the size of your tank and voila, instant carpet.

·
Registered
555 Posts
My LFS just got in their new shipment! If you look at the from right of the tank you can see the potted and mat versions of baby tears or HC. I think mats like that go for $15-$20 here locally. Pretty big chunk of HC. :bounce: Just wanted you to see the options for buying mats.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My LFS just got in there new shipment! If you look at the from right of the tank you can see the potted and mat versions of baby tears or HC. I think mats like that go for $15-$20 here locally. Pretty big chunk of HC. :bounce: Just wanted you to see the options for buying mats.

Nice, lucky you....wish we had a LFS that was setup like this with live plants....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My LFS just got in their new shipment! If you look at the from right of the tank you can see the potted and mat versions of baby tears or HC. I think mats like that go for $15-$20 here locally. Pretty big chunk of HC. :bounce: Just wanted you to see the options for buying mats.

I'm sure I can get them, probably not as cheap as that though as from what else I've seen online we get our pants pulled down here!, haven't seen a shop with a setup like that though, impressive, I think I'm going to try dwarf sag, unless I find a moss that will do well in my tank as I have already set out the mesh. Thanks everyone's!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Wow thats a nice setup at your LFS, nothing near me has anything close to that, just the large P chain stores. I have bought a few of the plants that come in the sealed packages and they have turned out great, but theres hardly any selection. That shop gets an A+!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've been messing around with figuring out the answer to that question.I've been debating which one to add to my 125. I've got three little tanks 10 & 15 gallon that I'm experimenting with.

Dwarf sag: takes a little bit to get started but spreads like crazy once it gets running. It can get a little tall for a carpet.

Dwarf hairgrass: takes forever to get going, then sends out runners. Takes a bit of time to fill in. It also has a tendency to get brown algae on it that some grazers don't get. Oto's etc.

Micro sword: just got some of this still settling in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts