The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
IME java ferns are more faster.

Sent from Android-powered device using Tapatalk2
i dunno man, that's just like... your opinion, man. :hihi:

i had some windlov? or tropica java fern a little over a year ago, and it grew for a little while, then melted.. i still have one of those baby ferns somewhere, only like a cm tall...

but i have a big "mother" anubias that i was gifted by another hobbyist and it grows at a steady medium pace. no idea on the species exactly as she picked it up from her sister who had past.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Define "fast." My A. nana has a rhizome about a foot long, so it throws out 3-4 new leaves at a time, but they are slow to develop and it took about 5 years to get that big. A larger java fern will grow more new baby plants at one time than a smaller one. Buy the biggest plant you can find to suit your needs. If you buy an anubia or java fern with 1-2" of rhizome and 3-4 leaves, you could be waiting a long time.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Really grows about the same just depends on placement in the tank and lighting etc. Just find out what your needs are and what plant would suit it better (if you only want one plant). Like stated before get the healthiest, biggest plant of whatever plant you choose.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
My Java ferns seem to grow faster than Anubias nana but I wonder if that is because the ferns have longer leaves than the Anubias? They fill up more space with the same number of leaves.

My little stump with dwarf needle leaf java fern looks nicely filled out now, maybe doubled in size from planting two months ago where the giant Anubias nana near it has apparently only produced 2 leaves from the growing point that is most obvious to me. I say java fern grows faster.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
J fern always grew way faster for me submersed. Emersed however, anubias grows like 2 inches a year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.