The Planted Tank Forum banner

fasten root growth?

1197 13
Hi,

I just finished my 2nd nano tank :grin2:,
I planted hair grass, bacopa, and anubias...
its only been 4 days since I planted them...
but when I try to do a water change.. the plant seems can't hold on to the substrate..
:frown2: I wonder how to fasten the root growth of hair grass and bacopa?
how long it takes for them to actually grow their root to the soil?

I'm using Amazonia soil, I haven't put any livestock in there...
I'm eager to put my shrimp in, so they can clean the hair algae
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
@psalm18.2 yea I use small pipe and head it to the hardscape...
maybe next time I use up/ plate...

but how long it takes the plant to roots in the soil?
I wanna add in shrimp/snail for algae eating first...

thank you
In my experience close to a month before they are firmly rooted. But it depends on the plant, stem plants tend to root deeper and faster, maybe in two weeks. One trick that I've seen is to cut a soda bottle in half and put holes in it to let the water drain out. As the water level rises so does the soda bottle so you don't disturb the substrate.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
@JusticeBeaver hmmm2 weeks? hmmm okay... and thank you for the tips :D :D
@Quagulator thanks... I'm gonna diy 1 later :D :D
I just tie one end to a small rock so as to sink to the bottom of a pail, then I set the pain on the rim of that tank, toss the rock with tubing in and siphon away.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
For my small nanos I leave a few one gallon water jugs around the house that I filled with tap water and when it's time to refill the thank after a water change I take the cap from the water jug hold it over the surface of the water and pur the water onto it. It sprays horizontally and doesn't disturb anything.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
richie_brave;10647962 oh said:
Yes, both of those plants will grow faster emersed, but they are both fast growers anyway, so you probably shouldn't go through the trouble of stripping your tank down to do a dry start. Dry start method is not typically used for stem plants like bacopa because they can take a long time to adjust to submerged conditions - and they grow very fast underwater anyway.

I like to pour water over a block of filter foam when I do water changes, but any of the suggestions in this thread will do.

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
wow @StevieD thanks for sharing the tips :D :D

You are quite welcome, happy it helped :)

As far as anchoring the plants I have tried aquatic plant weights in the past and found them to be effective, I think a lot depends on your substrate.

I have not found it necessary on this tank, I can only put it down to the Turface.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.