The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have had my blue pearls for about 2weeks now and all has been good. this morning when my lights came on I saw 1 deffinet molt, and either a second (pretty sure it was, just looked perfect so idk) or a dead shrimp...

well never the less, my shrimp are more active today then I have ever seen... and it seems like there chasing eachother around and like almost fighting but seems playful.

I have read with CRS that they molt then breed, is that the same with blue pearls even though they are a different species?

Pretty much I am just curious, might this be breeding behavior.

Thanks for all your help as always, you guys have helped me with alot.
-Matt

Oh one more thing was gonna do a water change today, should I hold off a day or two, or do it anyways?

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Blue pearls are the same species as RCS, neocaridina. And yes, after a female molts all the males will be searching for that female to mate with it.

Go ahead with the water change, it won't harm the shrimp as long as the parameters are close. The neos are all pretty hardy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes all shrimp molt before breeding, and its easy to tell the difference between a molt and dead shrimp. Molted skins are clear, dead shrimp opaque and usually pink, but they can be milky colored if they're extremely fresh.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'd agree that this sounds like fairly typical mating behavior (congrats, by the way.) It's possible that they were breeding but that she won't berry any time soon as well. If she does, don't be worried if your shrimp berry then drop the eggs though, they'll often do that for a month or three before finally carrying a batch of eggs to term. It's frustrating to have happen, but fairly typical. Once they have a successful hatching, they'll usually go nuts. Best of luck.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Yes. You'll notice the females start hiding more (when they carry fertilized eggs). About 30 days after that you'll see tiny specs swimming around your tank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.