The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:

Well, I just finished remodeling my cynops orientalis vivarium, and have about 5g of water, which I keep at about 68F and filter with a diy mini canister. My question is: does anyone know of any type of small fish that would flourish under these cooler temps and reproduce relatively regularly? I've thought of white clouds, but I think they're kindof iffy, and I don't know if the cooler temps will be detrimental to guppies or endlers, so any thoughts?

Oh, here's a picture of the tank: (admittedly sparsely planted at the moment, but I'm working on it!)

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Guppies and endler's can handle cooler conditions. Mine are at 67. They grow painfully slow and breed painfully slow.

White Clouds would be perfect.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Agrippa, it's funny you posted this as I've recently been experimenting with temperature on my Tuxedo Endlers. Anywhere under 64°F and they get pretty sluggish, so 68°F would be a safe low end of the temperature range. I've been breeding them in the high 70's but getting 90% females. I get a new litter Monthly. So recently I switched to the high 60's in hopes of better male yields. In a Month or two I should be able to post if I've had any success getting more males at lower temperatures. Be careful when you do a water change to add a little from the hot side when you prepare the tap water. you can really shock your Endlers if your tap water gets dumped into that tank under 60°F
One more piece of advice, you need another fish tank when breeding Endlers. males are constantly hitting on the females, so you don't want more than two males in your female harem tank. what I do is keep all my females in a 10gal with my best stud, and leave the rest of my males in my 29gal display tank where they school nicely together. Every Month I change studs so the maturing virgin females get different genetic material.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks everyone for the info and the quick responses. When I referred to the white clouds as iffy, I meant I was not certain as to the rates of reproduction- I know any of the livebearer clan reproduce with great virility, but I was under the impression that any egg-layer would do so with considerably less frequency, though the broods would be considerably larger... So, when comparing them, which you you prefer between white clouds/endlers/guppies? Thanks again

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Egg layers produce hundreds of eggs while live bearer will only have maybe 30 fries at a time..

Egg layers produce lots of eggs in case of predation but in an aquarium environment you can save a lot of those eggs from getting eaten.

But it's really up to you... I'd go for white cloud or danios.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
one of the difficult things about egg layers is how some of them guard their offspring very aggressively, so in a small tank, an egg laying parent (who ordinarily would be docile) may end up terrorizing other fish in a community tank to keep them far away from his clutch. on the other hand, some find this behavior interesting to observe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts