The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what are some fast breeding, Hardy, and cheap fish. I have platies but apparently they are defective LOL

·
Registered
701 Posts

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
You may need to give a closer definiton of what you are looking for in a fsih. I would call convict cichlids fast breeding, hardy, and cheap but then we all have different levels on each of those points.
Are the platies coming out deformed from inbreeding or what is the problem?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will not be able to get guppies here ... Last time I tried I lost 5 overnight due to their poor handling of the stress of being brought home.

Yes I have both males and female platies, there are no babies at all, I see gravid spots but never any babies.

You guys will not like why i need these fish so I would prefer not to say.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I used guppy fry as feeders when I was raising Bettas.

Here's what I'd try with your platies:

Pull all your female platies out of the tank and put them in a different heavily planted, cycled tank. Big clumps of Guppy grass and moss make awesome places for fry to hide from parents. Feed the females well preferably with live foods, but frozen would be a good alternative choice. If you make sure the females are properly conditioned and well fed, and give the fry plenty of places to hide from the mothers, your chances of getting and raising babies increase dramatically versus keeping them all together in the same tank.

Since your females have been kept with males, they should definitely be pregnant and storing sperm. It's very possible that as soon as they're away from the constant harrassment of the males and being fed well, their eggs will be allowed to develop, and you'll see them plumping up. Every time one's belly shrinks, a day or two later put that female back in with the males for a few days, then repeat the cycle.

This same method can work for most oviviparous livebearers.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I agree. For that purpose most any of the small livebearers could be used. But then if the platys are dying as soon as you bring them home, it might be worth checking on why before writing them off as weak.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its guppies that are dying.

I can not set up another tank for breeding. I am more than maxed with what i have.

And I even kill Java moss ... I cant keep plants anymore lol.

I may have to just give up on live foods other than ramshorn and Pond snails.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why should I be worrying about my water parameters? This is an established tank ... all of my tanks have been set up for months, fully cycled and are all within expected acceptable parameters.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
What fish store are you using in Union/florence? You could have had a sick bunch.

I'm assuming it's for your 10G? You'd want small fish for a 10G. If you can find feeder guppies or endlers, they'd do.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually ... none of those tanks are correct ... Havent updated anything here, I also moved out of KY ...

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Why should I be worrying about my water parameters? This is an established tank ... all of my tanks have been set up for months, fully cycled and are all within expected acceptable parameters.

While this seems pretty straightforward, there are times when we miss the forest for the trees. Step one for my thinking is that fish dying is not a normal thing. If you bring a semi-sick fish home and put him in good tank conditions, he may get better. Since you are having fish die, I would want to look closer at why. Tank conditions are not always something that we can always measure and say all is good.
Stress from moving is a factor but then there may be other things that keep them stressed for too long. I can't say what it might be because the list really is long but there may be some flaw that is being overlooked.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.