The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Recently I got 3 different species of killifish for my 40b -- 2 of each--breeding pairs of golden austral lyertail killis, blue gularis killies and Fundulopanchax gardneri.

I love them, even though they did eat many of the RCS that were living in the tank.

I want to have a species only Killifish tank and I was wondering what you guys thought were the most beautiful colorful killfish that you know of. I'm looking for peaceful species. I'd like to do some breeding in a new 40g b.

Also would love any other information you guys think a newbie should know about this fish. I know they are jumpers, and the tank is covered, heavily planted, and I'm feeding everyone blood worms/bbs daily.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Blue gularis look amazing IMO. I have never kept them, so I cannot attest to breeding or temperament, however the guy on this forum with the ropefish has bred them before, I think his name is nel.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Blue gularis look amazing IMO. I have never kept them, so I cannot attest to breeding or temperament, however the guy on this forum with the ropefish has bred them before, I think his name is nel.
It's actually her name, not his ;-) blue gularis are pretty easy and only aggressive for they own kind, BUT (there's always a but) they'll eat anything fitting in their mouths and those mouths are big. Other small kinds of killifish sound yummy. I would say it's best to have only bigger than gularis fish or at least higher/wider (for example young Congo tetra is much shorter, but high enough to not get eaten).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's actually her name, not his ;-) blue gularis are pretty easy and only aggressive for they own kind, BUT (there's always a but) they'll eat anything fitting in their mouths and those mouths are big. Other small kinds of killifish sound yummy. I would say it's best to have only bigger than gularis fish or at least higher/wider (for example young Congo tetra is much shorter, but high enough to not get eaten).

Hmm so I should take the lyertail out and put it in a species tank?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.