The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to hatch red tail fairy shrimp. So far its ben about a day and a half under lamp. The eggs have been lying around for about 2 years. will they still hatch? I will be keeping the fairy shrimp in a 1.5 gal jar. Is that ok? I have a little bit of java moss in there as well. Temperature is 74 f

Also I would like to buy triop eggs, but there are alot of different types I don't know what type would be best. Suggestions?

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks

any suggestions on caring for vernal pool creatures? Some people say to use air stones and some people say air stones cause too much water movement? Should I add an air stone?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ok thanks

any suggestions on caring for vernal pool creatures? Some people say to use air stones and some people say air stones cause too much water movement? Should I add an air stone?

I would add an air stone, or better yet a nano sponge filter so you have the benefit of a BB colony, but put an adjustable valve in the line so you can adjust it to a low setting like you would with very small/delicate fry.

Most freshwater vernal creatures need fairly soft water since the pools are formed by rainwater, so keep that in mind too. Depends a bit on the species though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any sponge filters that size but I can put an air stone.
Side question; What's the difference between a rocket filter and a spongefilter they do the exact same thing and are powered the same way,right?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I wouldn't with an airstone. Treat them like brine shrimp: large diameter bubbles but at a slow pace once hatched.

I also just wouldn't do a sponge filter. Most tend to be run at too high of a speed and will just trap and kill fairy shrimp.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok how would I make the bubbles bigger? If I did it like how I hatch brine shrimp the I would not use an air stone. Just the tube. But the bubbles would be very fast.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The bubbles straight from the tube should be fine. Just don't use an airstone. You can buy airline modifiers to control how much air pumps out of a single airline as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The info I read on redtails says sunlight is a better hatching stimulator than artificial light, maybe move the jar to a windowsill?

Elsewhere on that same website they say redtail fairy shrimp prefer warmer temps of 100F, so I'm not sure if thats something you might tweak as well.

Are you growing them for food for the triops you want to keep or something else? What an interesting creature!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No not food. Too much work to raise just as food. Ok I will move to a window, but I don't know how I could raise the temperature to 100. I saw about 9 baby fairy shrimp today. They look like brine shrimp except their white.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its going well They are currently eating algae off the piece of moss. later today I will feed yeast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts