1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was using my Rena Filstar XP2 long before I considered CO2 injection. I can fit more media inside my canister filter than will fit in most (if not all) HOB's and I can put more variety of media inside it. It's quieter than the HOB I had, and it doesn't let the water roll right over top of the filter media like my old HOB did. I also get more choice of placement for the input and output lines.

Jon

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm pretty new to this game too and after spending countless hours on countless websites I knew I definatly wanted a canister filter and after consulting several sales clerks and forum groupies, I was told that the Rena's are a great product for the money. So I got the XP3 and I love it! It is so easy to clean and service, it works wonderfully. I clean and service my filter on a regular basis just because it is sooo easy, so planted tank or not, go with one of the Rena's for sure!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I only converted to canisters when I started adding CO2.
Otherwise HOBs are fine.
If you were buying new eqipment for a new tank I would tell you to go canister, but if you already have the HOBs I don't really see the benefit of spending extra money on a canister if you're not going to power an inline CO2 reactor.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Bean thanks for posting that coupon!
I was about to buy an XP2, but with
your coupon I can buy the XP3 for
only $5 more! & coupon is still valid.

BTW: the SAVEMAY coupon gives
you $10 off and still free ship >$50

-the bums charged me sales tax :angryfire

·
Registered
194 Posts
canisyer filters

Wait until you get your first air lock in the rena's when attemping to get them started,you won't think they are so great.i have one xp3,two xp2's,and one xp1.they can be a general pain in the but.there are many threads out there on this very subject,so i'm not the only one with the problem.otherwise the rena is a very well designed product.just my two cents worth. cornhusker

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I got this brand new XP3 trade for fish. So I thought I could set it up on either of the tanks and which would be better to set it up on. Or could just turn around and sell it.:icon_idea

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've got 3 renas, not sure how you airlock them.

If you didn't pour sufficient water into it in the beginning, your fault. Fill it up.

After that (and even before, or during canister cleaning) simply put the thing back under your tank, hook up the hoses, it siphons itself....

I have airlocked it placing a skimmer on the intake, but that again was my fault, the skimmer was sucking air like crazy... once again, I disconnected at the quick connect, connected it back together, turned it on, done.
How do you airlock it?

·
Registered
194 Posts
canister filter?

Ingg,i get most of the trouble with airlocks just by shutting off and trying to start again.also as instructions indicate,when servicing you are to let water flow into filter to fill.i have even tried filling canister before starting up to no avail.i have to keep releasing the quick disconnect until filter starts up.sometimes i force water thru filler at top to get air out.all my filters are first style and they could have done something to alleveate this problem.they ,(the manufacture) aren't going to tell you.there have been threads on this problem in the past ,and most were unhappy with airlocks.
cornhusker

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.