The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice 9.5" clown loach with a great story behind it and someone has asked how much would I take for it. I have no clue about pricing a fish. Note that it would be handed off and not shipped. It does sometimes kick up stems in my tank and tick me off but his story has me keeping him all these years....in case you want to read his story: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=328594&highlight=

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
How to price a fish? So many angles that it would take a book. The price has to be how bad they want the fish, how bad you want the fish and how each will feel when the deal is done. The price of anything is not determined by what it is worth but what people think it is worth. Make them an offer that you would feel good with and let them decide.

·
Saddletramp
156 Posts
Over my many years, rarely are clown loaches that big ever offered for sale. I have seen the bigger than that, though - maybe a foot long or so.
I bet a shop would get at least $75 for one that size in good condition.

However, it sounds like you are dealing with a friend or acquaintance. That changes everything. It is now personal.

You are on your own here!! LOL

Bill

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would confirm that $75 is a good price to start at. Good luck

Adam

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
There's one shop that sells them in my state at that size, and they ask $90. So $75 would be accurate in my eye's. I use to keep a shoal of them back in the day, and they are pricey for juvies, so $75- for a 9.5" is fair IMO.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
The size is always a big factor but then that is part of the outlook of the seller and the buyer. Many large fish are not wanted by many poeple so the price goes way down. Large plecos often show up in local creeks because the shops will not buy them. One of the local shops has a large reject tank in the back where all fish are sold for $20. It has the fish that are too large and people can't find a buyer in the timeframe so they donate it to the shop. When and if they do find a buyer, the shop gets money to offsetthe time they keep the fish which many won't buy. There are often bargain fish in the tank but only if you want a really large fish that many don't.
If people want a large fish, they will often pay a high price but if they don't want a large one they will pay nothing. So it gets back to how long you want to keep the fish and how much money you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.