The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up two Fahaka puffers just over a week ago at 1 inch for 10 a peice which I thought was a steal. They look like pea puffers currently and are feeding on bloodworms and freeze dried shrimp. I'm keeping them in a split 10 gallon planted tank until they get 2-3 inches and I put them in their future 120 gallon tank, again separated, and I grow them out to about 6-8 inches this is where I decide which one I keep and give the whole tank to and which one I have to rehome hopfully I don't decide to keep both. Lol
Then I'd be stuck buying yet another tank.

Currently I'm just wondering what tankmates I could keep with these fish I know nothing slow and nothing expensive from other people's posts on these or any puffers for that matter however my LFS keeps theirs in a nice planted aquarium with some type of medium sized barb they said does great with these guys they told me start them off young with a group of medium sized shoaling fish so I was just wanting suggestions on just this I'd love Congo tetras but unfortunately they are too expensive for a potential meal some other fast African shoaling fish would be perfect. If nothing else I'll probably try giant danios just to keep down hostility and give my puffer something to watch and interact with. I'm currently housing mine with 2 mollys on each side of the divider both side having a large female and a smaller male so far they have done great however I know this will change in time I actually set them up like this so the puffers could catch the fry for a healthy snack but I'll take out the adult Mollys if they start showing signs of aggression anytime soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Fahakas are notorious tankmate obliterators. They have slightly less aggression when they are tiny, but as soon as they get to be a couple inches, watch out. Anything that does or does not fit in their mouths will be eaten. Puffers have beaks, so the whole "does it fit in their mouths" thing doesn't apply. They can take out much larger fish. There are exceptions to every rule, of course, but if one decides to be aggressive, you'll have a *very* small window of time to take out the survivors.

Edited to Add: Fahakas are much faster than you think. If they set their mind to catching something, speed won't save your other fish.

·
Banned
93 Posts
its a hit or miss with puffers. I have had figure 8's, fahakas and porcupine puffers. all are very aggressive. I had them all as baby puffs. lol either way, they are very aggressive and I have had the luck of keeping my fahakas with Columbian Tetras. I say its best to start off with a school of tetras you want now when the puffer is juvenile, they may get used to having other fish. in my case it was a good combination, but like I mentioned not all puffers are the same so don't treat them as if they are. best bet would be trial and error but start early, not when they are full grown adults.

I also would recommend to not have open spaces in the tank, have lots of barriers within the tank if you want tank mates with your puffer

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I know how big they can get that's acually part of why I got one I like big personal fish which explains my Giant Gourami, Oscar, and Blood Parrot tank (I have a few) plus now a Fahaka I was really wanting an MBU which gets even bigger by about 6 inches but they are expensive and hard to fined. I'm actually thinking of scratching another tank I keep my brackish fish in (monos, skats, columbian sharks) and doing a full marine tank with lion fish or another cool fish like a spotted grouper, but then I'd need to upgrade my tank again later on so idk I was just thinking of switching things up with this stock as these guys are kinda, well they just are boring. they remind me of an oversized community tank and while I like the look It's just not what I'm in the hobby for I like the pet aspect of keeping fish without the hair and pooping on the floor like other animals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.