The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a manifold with 3 fabco nv-55-18 valves.
I just did a co2 tank change last Monday. I gave the tank a quick open close to purge any possible debris as usual before hooking it up.

My bubble counter on 1 valve slowed to 1-2 bps yesterday. I can slow the bubbles down, but even wide open I can't get more bps than that.
The knob is not slipping, I'm running 40psi as usual, 2 identical reactors, 1 ceramic disc. I tried slowing the other 2 valves to 1 bps, no difference. The valve/bubble counter in question is on one of the reactors. I removed the airline on the bubble counter and same thing, so it's not blockage after the bubble counter.

Possible bubble counter blockage? I don't have an adapter handy to bypass the bubble counter. Or possible blockage before the valve?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I built a manifold with 3 fabco nv-55-18 valves.
I just did a co2 tank change last Monday. I gave the tank a quick open close to purge any possible debris as usual before hooking it up.

My bubble counter on 1 valve slowed to 1-2 bps yesterday. I can slow the bubbles down, but even wide open I can't get more bps than that.
The knob is not slipping, I'm running 40psi as usual, 2 identical reactors, 1 ceramic disc. I tried slowing the other 2 valves to 1 bps, no difference. The valve/bubble counter in question is on one of the reactors. I removed the airline on the bubble counter and same thing, so it's not blockage after the bubble counter.

Possible bubble counter blockage? I don't have an adapter handy to bypass the bubble counter. Or possible blockage before the valve?

Any suggestions?

Sounds likely that you've got a blockage somewhere between the regulator and that needle valve. I've heard of people successfully ""blowing out" a blockage by running the valve wide open quickly. Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the bubble counter, I unscrewed it from the fabco and I can adjust the flow no problem. There was water in the manifold. I run check valves everywhere. The plugged bubble counter was empty on Friday, so I refilled it, the other bubble counters were at 3/4 which I thought was weird. So is there any way to unplug it, or just scrap it and save the parts for spares? Shut the lights and turned off co2 all together. Will have to figure something out, can't wait 6-8 weeks for eBay. Lol

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
From here it sounds like either debris or deposits from hard water dried in the small opening of the needle valve.
My plan would be to take any connections off at that needle valve, open the gas flow pretty high and hope something pops out. Second would be to take that needle valve off and do a soak overnight with vinegar. When the coffee perk stops working right, it can often be repaired by perking vinegar through it. Then if that still doesn't change anything, connecting it to an airline on the reverse side might blow a bit of tape back out the way it came in? All guesses, of course!
Might get lucky/might not but then that sounds more likely than a defect that stays the same when adjusted. I would expect a loose or broken needle to get sloppy and "jump" around more than stay the same?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.