The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my tank is lame, i need some ideas.. little help would be amazing...

PLEASE!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Tank specs and a full tank shot would be helpful definitely! Also, I think it looks like you've got a pretty good start here, so knowing what you'd like help with would be good to :proud:

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dunno i think it looks like crap, the subwassertan just won't stay in one place and though the shrimp like a rolling nest its really gettin on my last nerve... the whole thing is about to be a RAOK if i don't figure it out quick...

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I actually have no personal experience with subwassertang (sp.?) But I THINK you can attach it DW or rocks with cotton thread. Maybe do a search for it and see what others have done? Or start a specific "what the heck do i do with this stuff" thread in the plants section? :tongue:

Other than that, I think some nice stems would look good along the back, And I think some crypt wendtii or undulata or something similar would look nice on the sides and/or tucked between some of the rocks.

It's hard to tell from the almost (i think) full tank shot, but it looks like you've got some good places for crypts or maybe one of the echinodorus (sp?) grasses in the front left corner and to the right in front of the crinum (i have no experience with crinum plants, but it looks like it might outgrow your tank rather quickly, perhaps a nice Java fern or large anubias would do better in that spot?)

Anyway, I'm just spitballing some suggestions.

I don't think it's off to a bad start though, from what i can tell, your hardscape looks really cool! :proud:

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, forget it, i'm gonna give all the plants to my assistant manager and work with the hardscape first instead of being lazy and expecting magic from nothing, moss tank with stems perhaps?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Hahahaha ok that works too. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with the subwassertang!

But the hardscape is definitely very cool so yeah, don't get rid of the whole thing!

I think mosses, some stems and crypts would look really nice in this tank. Some java fern could look really good too.

Actually, if having to remove rocks to attach moss to them would totally destroy your hardscape though, I think this tank could look really good with just stems, crypts and java fern, and maybe some echinodorus grass species.

Some of my favorite low light stems are Sunset hygro, hygro difformis, ambulia, Lindernia rotundifolia (one of my newest additions) and pennywort (hydrocotyle sp.) They are all a nice mix of shapes and colors too.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i can't keep hygro alive (maybe bad sources) i am actually gonna revamp the hardscape too though, i got a project for tonight!!!!! six pack+wet hands= good friday night...

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Hahahahaha ok fair enough. I agree, i love cracking open a cold one (or 3) when i have serious tank work to do! :)

Be sure to post pictures of the new hardscape so we can give plant suggestions! :)

If you want i can give you some of my sunset hygro to try, i have just over .5wpg in my 30g tank and the stuff is neon pink! I think the key is that i leave my lights on for like 14 hours. But anyway, mine is well acclimated to low light, so it might be worth a shot?

Let me know! :)

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BETTA ALBIMARGINATA? anyone breed them or keep them? i want them super bad. will they handle a 12g?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
As Phoenix-cry, she's breeding them and should know all about them. Do a search for threads started by her or for betta albimarginata and you'll see her thread about them I don't know if she has any babies ready for sale or not but she'll definitely be able to tell you how they'd do in a 12 at least! :proud:

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ehhh, too late. Ordered from my wholesaler. Ill have them tomorrow. Pics soon. Haha

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
still got the sub, maybe i'll stop being lazy and get some work done on this mess tomorrow

·
Registered
376 Posts
How are the shrimp doing in the aquapod? Have any made it into the back chambers yet?
I have a 12g and a 24g aquapod. I'd like to set one up as a shrimp only tank but the overflow has kept me from trying it yet.
And my vote is for a moss and stems tank, I think the moss-dominated scapes on here look great.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well the shrimp are gone... i had taken fish from a wholesaler and when i checked the water in my main holding tank it was not what i wanted to put $500 worth of fish in till the morning. So i had to sacrafice the shrimp to save the cichlids.. I was not gonna let them die... I have seen signs of life though, perhaps there are a few hiding out.. i'm pretty bummed about the turn of events, but thats the game..

1 - 20 of 143 Posts