The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspiration for this device came last weekend when I somehow managed to drop about a gallon and a half of water all over the floor, the stand, my electronics (blew a fuse), and places that I still don't understand how water got to.

I've been doing this longer than I remember and I still spill a little water every so often. There really is no avoiding it. Sooo, I took a trip to home depot and crafted this little widget yesterday while I watched the pro bowl.

It really is as simple as it looks. It's constructed mainly out of 1" PVC. I use a 1" -> 3/4" reducing adapter to connect the pvc to the shut off valve and hose adapter. The compression couplings are only being used as spacers so it hangs on the tank correctly. I know it ain't much of a DIY project, but maybe it'll save someone a headache.

You can see the siphon holes here. If you turn the shut off valve before the siphon breaks on its own, you can maintain the siphon (for use on other tanks, etc.). I usually don't do that, though.

I tend to keep a lot of fish and feed a corresponding amount, so I prefer ~75% water changes.

Here's the water level after the siphon breaks. It's worth noting that I use python tubing. The stuff from home depot is notably less flexible and prone to kinking.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
booger, why did you feel the need to build it with two down tubes and one across with holes? why not a single down tube? assuming the 180 degree turn was just wide enough to hug the inside and outside of the tank, would not a single tube with say a kitchen sink screen on the end accomplish the same thing without such a bulky assembly?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The one I made is just a single down tube with 2 90 degree elbows on the end and a short section of tubing on that. I can swivel it up and down to change the level I drain down to. I didn't design it, it is just what I put together from cut up pieces of another plumbing project for another tank. But, I use Home Depot hose - good move not doing so! I spend 15 minutes each set up trying to remove all of the kinks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
booger, why did you feel the need to build it with two down tubes and one across with holes? why not a single down tube? assuming the 180 degree turn was just wide enough to hug the inside and outside of the tank, would not a single tube with say a kitchen sink screen on the end accomplish the same thing without such a bulky assembly?

It's marginally less likely to clog or reduce flow. I wanted a greater siphon area with more holes. I was originally planning to go 2 or 3 times as long, but I ran out of pipe :icon_lol:. It's a stretch, I know. The truth is I like overbuilding. I like the bulk. It looks meaner.

I assume this is the style you're talking about? I built this one using 1.25" pvc for my 300 gallon ray tank.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
yeah Boo, something like that..., you know it just occurred to me;
you know those washing machine dirty water hoses people hang off
utility sinks? they already have that 'U' shape clamp like design that
would be perfect for this application by using the end normally used
for outflow, as intake. Hoppy's design has the added benefit of being
able to adjust to the water level you want to drain, I just wonder how
he gets that PVC pipe joint to be adjustable without springing a leak.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah Boo, something like that..., you know it just occurred to me;
you know those washing machine dirty water hoses people hang off
utility sinks? they already have that 'U' shape clamp like design that
would be perfect for this application by using the end normally used
for outflow, as intake. Hoppy's design has the added benefit of being
able to adjust to the water level you want to drain, I just wonder how
he gets that PVC pipe joint to be adjustable without springing a leak.

The other one I made was adjustable using the elbow. If you rotated it upwards, the siphon would break as soon as the first holes were exposed, leaving more water in the tank. For this one, I didn't feel the need to make it adjustable. On the extremely rare occasion where I don't do a 75% change, I'll use my other siphon and just do it manually.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Yeah I've seen that one. Neat idea, but it's more practical for me to keep drain and fill hoses seperate. Always good to see how everyone does it.
What do you mean drain and fill hoses seperate? I see one hose in your pics. Do you have one hose/device for drain and one for fill?.......DC

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Yeah. My fill device is, well, this. I run this from a utility sink ~ 30 feet away.

I see, how is it more practical to keep them seperate instead of together? Don't you have a drain near that utility sink?......DC

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see, how is it more practical to keep them seperate instead of together? Don't you have a drain near that utility sink?......DC
I drain outside a patio door that's 5 feet away from the tank, so my drain hose is only about 8 feet long. As I eluded to, my fill hose is a lot longer. Another reason for not combining is that I travel a lot on business and have to use a sitter for my tanks. Despite being ridiculously simple, I've learned from experience that adding the words "turn valve" to any task ups the difficulty level at least 2 fold. Trust me.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Interesting. I just stuck an extra u-tube from a canister filter on the end of my drain hose.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
I drain outside a patio door that's 5 feet away from the tank, so my drain hose is only about 8 feet long. As I eluded to, my fill hose is a lot longer. Another reason for not combining is that I travel a lot on business and have to use a sitter for my tanks. Despite being ridiculously simple, I've learned from experience that adding the words "turn valve" to any task ups the difficulty level at least 2 fold. Trust me.

Have you considered automated water changes?......DC

1 - 20 of 23 Posts