The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
F1 is the first generation of offsrping, but does not necessarily mean the parents were wild caught. It can apply to any breeding line. If you have two fish and they spawn you have F1, if they have 10 spawns, every fish in every spawn will be F1. If you cross two fish from the F1 generation then their babies are F2. If you introduce new blood, then you're back to be beginning with a new line.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Actually if you get two different bloodline F1's it still makes an F2, even if you breed a F1 with a WC it will still be F2 since it is the second generation of the F1.

The pleco L# is just a number given to the pleco.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ahh, so then I am wrong. The F# is generations away from wild? That brings up another interesting question.
What do you call the fry from an F2 that's been crossed back to a wild fish?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
F2 with Wild is F3 cause it is the 3rd generation bloodline of the f2. It will have new blood in it though but there is still 3rd gen bloodline mixed in.

It's kinda goofy but it makes sense..... why not just breed F1000 with wildcaught and have it be F1 if that's how it worked? if it was everyone would have F1's

·
Registered
562 Posts
Actually if you get two different bloodline F1's it still makes an F2, even if you breed a F1 with a WC it will still be F2 since it is the second generation of the F1.

The pleco L# is just a number given to the pleco.
isn't the L supposed to refer to like.. what was it? Loricaridae? So that each number is assigned to each individual species within the loricaridae.. um... family? I'm new to this pleco stuff.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just read the new TFH, explaining L number. "The family Loricariidae contains more species than any other catfish...many not described.. For that reason catfish enthusiasts have developed an identification system for many of the species that are not yet tagged... The 'L' stands for the family, and the numbers are agreed upon..."

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm wondering that too. What is L* in bristlenose?
ooo... just re-read this! noticed I didn't answer your question at all. bristlenoses don't have a specific L# because there are many kinds. Basically, if you're looking for a Bristlenose, you're looking for an ancistrus catfish. check out planetcatfish.com, they've got all kinds of info to try to sort out the various plecos.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Ok, f0 is wild caught. f1's are 2nd gen. it pretty much degrades from there, so most people without fresh stock won't bother with the F#'s.

The L* is meaning family of loricaridae- member-whatever. like the l44 is leopard frog pleco(i think)
Ok, so loricaridaes have 3 names-common, scientific and an L name. corydoras have the same(C#)
It's all fancy talk to me!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
does anyone know is it common practice to breed from wild fish to f1 and then bring in new blood line from same species in order keep healthy fish?
in general what type of degrading of fish would you see if you kept on
breeding from the same group of fish?maybe color not as bright?or maybe more genetic health issues like deformation?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Fish aren't as likely to show genetic defects from inbreeding. It is a common practice to selectively breed for a specific color or pattern, and the fish still look good after many generations of doing so. Yellow lab's are a good example of African cichlids being inbred w/out bad offspring. There were only a few of them originally collected, and most of the current stock in the U.S. is directly descended from them.
Color and/or intensity is also a result of diet and environment in some cases.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
yea, sometimes stuff can get bad if deggraded too far. platies are hardly brought from the wild, yet they are pretty much a strong species.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.