The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a stupid thing the other day. When removing substrate, it's best NOT to use a container which may scratch glass.

Anyways, I noticed that one side of my aquarium has quite a few scratches, and the other side just has one big one. I am contemplating turning it around in a week or two, but that still leaves the one big scratch which will be visible on the new front.

I've seen those commercials where they use the eyeglass scratch remover to remove scratches and it seems to work pretty good and simple to use.

Anyone have any experiences using the eyeglass scratch remover kit on an aquarium?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I definately wouldn't use anything in my tank not made for aquariums. The only way to remove the scratches is to polish them of which is VERY hard in a glass aquarium.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have used "RainX" liquid for removing/filling not so deep scratches on my aquarium (out side) the only trouble is you would have to repeat the application every 2-3 months,but it does work by making the scratches less visible.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah thats fine for the scratches on the outside. Doesn't do much good for scratches on the inside though. I don't think I have ever scratched the outside of a tank.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Basically if its a glass tank scratched on the inside & isn't a 200+ gallon tank. The easiest & cheapest way to fix the scratch is to buy a new tank.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Basically if its a glass tank scratched on the inside & isn't a 200+ gallon tank. The easiest & cheapest way to fix the scratch is to (insert: *)buy a new tank.
*replace the scratched glass with a scratchless one, or throw away the tank and

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yeah thats fine for the scratches on the outside. Doesn't do much good for scratches on the inside though. I don't think I have ever scratched the outside of a tank.
My 100 gal split at the seams so when I put it together I put the front piece inside out that's how the scratches ended up on the out side.:hihi:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
My 100 gal split at the seams so when I put it together I put the front piece inside out that's how the scratches ended up on the out side.:hihi:
So did it come out cheaper and better than using a new glass?

·
Registered
711 Posts
So did it come out cheaper and better than using a new glass?
I didn't have a choice,it was either throw out an otherwise a perfectly functional aquarium out and buy a new one for $500 or fix the one I had .the cost was 2-3 tubes of silicone ,and my time.
And yes it came out nicely ,it's been holding water for 4 years now.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Very ture most are plastic 1 in ten or less are glass you have to order glass and it takes months to come in. I used to work at Lenscrafters as a lab tech.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts