The Planted Tank Forum banner

Extremely shy oto cats?

1666 11
I have 5 oto cats in my 60p for a few months now. I used to see them munching on Repashy, but lately I rarely see them out in the day time. If I walk up on the tank in the dark, they swim frantically from the disturbance. They mostly keep to one corner behind my blyxa. They are obviously eating but I am concerned they are not liking something about the tank. As a result I am thinking of RAOKing them to a more suitable home if this behavior is unusual. Any thoughts? I EI dose, pressurized co2 and keep up with water changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Are these real?
15,763 Posts
Are you sure they "frantically swim from the disturbance"? They might just have moved their day activities to the night period, and are very active when the main lights are off. Perhaps the strong light isn't what they are programmed to from their natural environment.

Either way, if you have a moonlight over your tank sit down one evening and observe them. They might just be "playing" in the dark. Mine do - sleep all day and play all night. :icon_roll

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No moonlight. I just know when I dose ferts before the lights come on the otos will sometime swim and bang themselves repeatedly against the glass from the disturbance. That is the only activity I see from them now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
90 Posts
Your just spooking them when you dose. Try waiting till the lights just come on, they should be settled by then. One of the reasons i like about repashy is the stability, allows me to feed the night crew during the day. I used to spook the heck out of the driftwood cat every night feed. Their instinct tells them to swim away and then they hit a wall and the fear escalates. Maybe an autodosing system would work as well. I have heard if the light is on in the room but no light on in tank the shadow you cast makes fish nervous too.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mine freak if I walk up to the tank, but are otherwise just fine (Big bellied & happy). I don't spend a lot of time close the tank though, so I think they're just not used to it. I have five in a 30 gallon right now. They're just shy, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hiding places will help though, I noticed they really like to be in the plants and the driftwood.

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yah they have a hiding spot behind a big bunch of blyxa they like. I have 20 espei rasbora and a dwarf gourami already in the tank, including the 5 otos. Not sure if the tank can support additional otos. Last thing I would want is to get more just to have them all hide still.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Having a similar thing, I have 3 ottos (from petsmart) in my 3 gallon nano at work with some fire red shrimp.

The ottos just seem to hang onto a hiding place or the glass and breathe, and that is about it. Don't even touch algae tabs dropped in the tank. been over a week now, maybe what was suggested is true and they are out at night.

It's just weird because the ottos in my home tank (from Msjinkzd) are lunatics, always sucking their way down a leaf, driftwood or on the glass. they only hold still for a little while at a time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have bought Ottos for a tank from one source and they were super shy, acting as you have described. And from another source at another time for a different tank and they are much less shy. I think it may be luck of the draw, the way they act is probably based more on where they came from, or their genetics, etc..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.