The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you suggest for extra water movement in a 10 gallon and 40? My 40 gallon actually has a pretty decent layout and movement. The 10 gallon has dead corners in both back corners and little flow reaches there and I notice fish poop settles. What are some ways to help with flow? I don't want insane flow because I'm adding shrimp to both tanks next week and the 10 gallon had corydoras habrosus in it. However, I'd like more flow in the 10 gallon at least to avoid algae growth. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
How about one of these: Aquaclear Powerheads

And attach one of these to protect the shrimp and a little more filtration:

Aquaclear Quick Filter Attachment

I use a powerhead in my 75 but I didnt buy the quick filter, I made my own. I also use a powerhead in my 10 but it is the only filtration and is coupled to a sponge.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'd say get a small power head and use that in the tank. Something like a Aqua Clear 20. It's OK to move it around from time to time to keep up with the various dead spots, or you could just add a second pump.

The same approach would also work on the 40 gal tank, just use a larger power head or two. For my 90 gal tank I got a JBL Oceanstream Circulation Pump/Powerhead + Duo Wavemaker Kit, but this might be too big or too expensive for whatr you have, but you can take a look here (offsite) - JBJ Oceanstream Circulation Pump/Powerhead + Duo Wavemaker Kit

·
Registered
649 Posts
If this is a shrimp tank, then you could add 2 sponge filters. It would add flow, filtration, give you a backup in case of power failure (with a battery powered air pump), and shrimp LOVE sponge filters.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I can think of two alternatives: A bubbler, or even a Green Killing Machine 9watt for both tanks. It will move the water a little bit. It will cost more, but you get more work out of it. They clean small tanks of algae beautifully.

·
Registered
173 Posts
... The 10 gallon has dead corners in both back corners and little flow reaches there and I notice fish poop settles...
That's exactly what we want, if we are interested in optimal water quality. We don't want excrement flowing all over everywhere. Fish don't like living in a flushing toilet. Consolidated fish waste goes right up and out the siphon. Nice.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's exactly what we want, if we are interested in optimal water quality. We don't want excrement flowing all over everywhere. Fish don't like living in a flushing toilet. Consolidated fish waste goes right up and out the siphon. Nice.
So I want the poop to settle? I'm so used to reefs where we didn't want dead spots. I'm just starting to grow some green hair algae and I'm just a bit concerned it'll take over.

Also, these are shrimp tanks with some cories. But they are planted . I just ordered 2 sponge filter intakes for my hob filters.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A quietflow hob rated up to 30 gallons. I think I may need to take it apart and clean it after looking at it today. The flow coming out doesn't seem to be what it was.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So I want the poop to settle? ... starting to grow some green hair algae and I'm just a bit concerned it'll take over. Also, these are shrimp tanks with some cories...
Well I don't know if you want fish excrement settling, but most who are interested in optimal water quality consider the consolidation of it to make for more efficient removal. Out the siphon each morning. Especially if you are using substrate. Having fish waste settle into all the nooks and crannies and crevices formed by the substrate is, well, for lack of a better adjective, disgusting.

Algae is controlled, eliminated, preventable, via pH levels + exposure to (sun)light.

What are the pH ranges of the shrimp species and the Corydoras species in your tanks?

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Well I don't know if you want fish excrement settling, but most who are interested in optimal water quality consider the consolidation of it to make for more efficient removal. Out the siphon each morning. Especially if you are using substrate. Having fish waste settle into all the nooks and crannies and crevices formed by the substrate is, well, for lack of a better adjective, disgusting
Fish waste is what a lot of planted tanks rely on for food, especially in low light setups where there isn't any real dosing. There's always settling waste, it's just a matter of how much and how well it's processed by the bio-filter (plants/filter).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.