The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a painted turtle tank where I have putting my extra salvinia (water spangles), weeping moss, and other stuff that I would normally chuck after trimming my planted tank. I also buy her anacharis as she likes to eat it. There is no substrate, everything is floating at some level.

The trouble is at weekly tank clean time when she gets an 80% change. Turtles really mix things up so the plants I want to maintain in her tank, especially the moss, get homogenized with the mulm and tiny chunks of mostly eaten plants which makes it difficult to get it all clean easily. I frequently clog my python tubing sucking up too much moss.

I want something I can net all the keeper plants out of the water first that leaves most of the crud behind which I can then vacuum with the water change. It needs to be very coarse, like 1/2" mesh so bigger pieces get stuck in the net but smaller pieces pass through. I can't find an aquarium net that coarse. I was thinking one of those pasta spoons might work. Any ideas?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't fish so didn't think about those and didn't know they are called landing nets. But YES, I think that has some promise as it is very coarse. Her tank is a 20G long filled half way (its her winter "studio apartment", she lives in a school courtyard pond in the warm months) so the regular sized landing nets might be too big for the tank. But that gives me something search for. Maybe there is a mini or "child size" landing net. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.