The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was planning on adding an in-line reactor to a new 70 gallon setup. I will be getting an Eheim 2126 and was thinking of getting something like the external Aqua Media Reactor 1000. I have seen others who have built their own external in-line reactors, but I don't have those skills. This reactor calls for a 250 gph rate so the 2126 should be OK. Since I am new to this, my question is do I just install this reactor under the tank next to the pump and run a hose from the pump to the reactor and then from the reactor back into the tank? I know I need to hook up the CO2, of course, but any help on exactly how to set an external in-line reactor would be most appreciated!

I just found some info on this at "The Planted Tank FAQ" Great pictures and info, listed as "How to set a CO2 system." This is a great site! Still wonder if the 1000 is too big and if that would have any effect on anything.

·
Registered
673 Posts
if you run the DIY reactor, there should be a hose barb for the CO2 and this is same for the 1000 except I believe there is one for vent. I bought and sold mine 1000 because I thought it was a bit bulky. Anyway, either one whether you are using 1000 or DIY, take the outflow of one end and connect to the inlet of reactor and another hose to catch the end that is coming out and back to your tank.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A couple words of advice that you can take with a grain of salt if you want...

I have an AM1000 hooked up to a 2128 under a 75 gal. After about a year of operation, I found that I needed more filtration and added a 2126 without anything inline. What I would recommend if you haven't already bought the filter is step up to the 2128 for the improved flow with the reactor inline. Planted tanks usually need a lot of filtration!

If you already bought the filter, then you can add a cheap powerhead later if you find you want more circulation.

To hook it up, I used a small amount of Eheim tubing from the output of the filter, a barb connector/reducer for the AM1000 tubing (I think 1/2" ID, someone correct me if wrong) into the reactor. Reversed on the way out.

Also, if you get the AM1000 make sure you connect the airline from the CO2 system to the connector that has a tube going to the bottom of the reactor. You'll see what I mean when/if you get it.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you run the DIY reactor, there should be a hose barb for the CO2 and this is same for the 1000 except I believe there is one for vent. I bought and sold mine 1000 because I thought it was a bit bulky. Anyway, either one whether you are using 1000 or DIY, take the outflow of one end and connect to the inlet of reactor and another hose to catch the end that is coming out and back to your tank.
Thanks for the info, I will have to get a supply of tubing and hose barbs. I have lots of room under the cabinet for the 1000 (I think I do, that is, I haven't even gotten the tank or cabinet yet! ) I do wonder if the 1000 is too much for a 70 gallon, but if it functions OK and is hidden from view that is all I care about.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple words of advice that you can take with a grain of salt if you want...

I have an AM1000 hooked up to a 2128 under a 75 gal. After about a year of operation, I found that I needed more filtration and added a 2126 without anything inline. What I would recommend if you haven't already bought the filter is step up to the 2128 for the improved flow with the reactor inline. Planted tanks usually need a lot of filtration!

If you already bought the filter, then you can add a cheap powerhead later if you find you want more circulation.

To hook it up, I used a small amount of Eheim tubing from the output of the filter, a barb connector/reducer for the AM1000 tubing (I think 1/2" ID, someone correct me if wrong) into the reactor. Reversed on the way out.

Also, if you get the AM1000 make sure you connect the airline from the CO2 system to the connector that has a tube going to the bottom of the reactor. You'll see what I mean when/if you get it.

Hope this helps!
Your info really helps a lot! This is why this forum is so helpful. I haven't bought the 2126 yet because I am waiting to order the equipment just before the tank and cabinet arrive. I was wondering about whether a reactor might slow down a pump's volume, and you have helped me out here. I will certainly look into the 2128, I don't mind getting a bigger unit if it isn't too powerful for the tank.

I will be ordering a reducer too! I am pretty sure that when everything arrives I will need something else, but since I won't be ordering plants or fish until I am fully set up, I should be OK. (Unlike when I was younger I bought a 29 gallon tank, hood, pump, fish, plants, gravel, filters, etc., etc., all in one day. What chaos! Most of the fish lived!)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I will certainly look into the 2128, I don't mind getting a bigger unit if it isn't too powerful for the tank.

I will be ordering a reducer too! I am pretty sure that when everything arrives I will need something else, but since I won't be ordering plants or fish until I am fully set up, I should be OK. (Unlike when I was younger I bought a 29 gallon tank, hood, pump, fish, plants, gravel, filters, etc., etc., all in one day. What chaos! Most of the fish lived!)
A 2128 definitely won't be too much for your 70 gal tank! Like I mentioned, I have a 2128 with an inline reactor, and a 2126 with nothing inline and mechanical filtration only. Start thinking about ferts and lighting if you are going to be adding CO2.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A 2128 definitely won't be too much for your 70 gal tank! Like I mentioned, I have a 2128 with an inline reactor, and a 2126 with nothing inline and mechanical filtration only. Start thinking about ferts and lighting if you are going to be adding CO2.
Thanks! I actually have another posting here on The Planted Tank Forum as "Watts to the Gallon" where I am trying to find out if 130 PC watts are enough for this 70 gallon corner tank. (30", 30", 24")

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, due to recommendations from others on this forum, I am looking into an HQI MH. In fact, I just found out it is listed as an option on this tank, but it says it is for a reef tank. (1X150 w hqi mh, and 2 65wpc, and 4 lunar lights, I would probably use only the hqi mh) I still have time to change the lighting option.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Actually, due to recommendations from others on this forum, I am looking into an HQI MH. In fact, I just found out it is listed as an option on this tank, but it says it is for a reef tank. (1X150 w hqi mh, and 2 65wpc, and 4 lunar lights, I would probably use only the hqi mh) I still have time to change the lighting option.
I think that would work also, you could use the PC for a 'burst' middle of the day and the lunars at night. I've got two lunars, looks good at night....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.