The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Any suggestion? I was looking at many filters but I notice they are for big rigs aquarium...

And wouldn't they be too strong for 10gallon aquarium?
Most people here use canister filters. I can only speak for Eheim filters but a 2213 or equivalent with other brands would be appropriate for a 10G.

I have a ZooMed 501, rated for 80Gph (ratings do not include filter media) and people repeatedly told me that it didn't provide enough flow. They were right...need a bigger filter. 2213 or equivalent..even if you think it'll be too much, its not.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most people here use canister filters. I can only speak for Eheim filters but a 2213 or equivalent with other brands would be appropriate for a 10G.

I have a ZooMed 501, rated for 80Gph (ratings do not include filter media) and people repeatedly told me that it didn't provide enough flow. They were right...need a bigger filter. 2213 or equivalent..even if you think it'll be too much, its not.

so what about the fluvals? is the 105 good enough?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Rena xp1 or fluval 105. I would go with the rena over the fluval, personal experience and preference. Both have a flow control system to allow you to control how much its pushing out, so its too strong for your tank, you can adjust it.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Finnex makes one for their small tanks, might be a better fit for a small tank. Good flow is great....but, you don't need to create a washing machine force in such a small space, unless your going for a stream look

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Eheim 2211 : $85 shipping included (its green canister... looks... eh)
Eheim 2213 : $90 shipping included (same)
Fluval 105 : $74/$80 shipping included (looks pretty cool! as fluval always have futuristic design)
Rena xp1 : $113 shipping included (cool design... but its 100+ bucks :()

soooooooo..................

blind side opions.. I chose fluval 105. why? I guess I just trust the brand.. and we know its fluval. + cheapest of all 4.

on the other hand... GeToChKn said rena xp1 > fluval 105 why?
any detail explanation?

I need more people's opinons.. sorry I'm very picky at what I spend, especially this is the first time I'm buying external filter hehe.

-btw what is the difference between eheim 2211 & 2213?? only 5 bucks difference I dont get it.

all prices based on ebay search

·
Registered
712 Posts
I say go with the Eheim 2213 - you could use it for larger tanks than the 2211 - and for only 5 bucks more.

I can't compare Eheim to Rena or Fluval with Eheim - no experience with the former two.

Eheim is, however, typically considered the top brand. I'm not sure if you should judge the canister by its appearance unless you're planning to showcase the canister rather than hide it in the tank stand or behind it (as most people do).

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
so what about the fluvals? is the 105 good enough?
I am running a Fluval 105 on my 10G "micro" tank and it is the perfect filter for a 10G IMO. It has enough circulation you dont have to worry about dead spots but it isnt strong enough that tiny fish have problems getting around either. I hated Fluval's prevous 03 line as I had many of them leak and fail...the 05 design is much improved and I will say that I really like this filter. I have ran it for about 18months and it has been flawless so far. I picked mine up for $60 shipped on ebay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.