The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading my 5gal Fluval edge to a new and larger edgless planted 9.8 gal shrimp tank, my betta of 4+ years finally has moved on, so its time to do some shrimp. It is going into my terrarium nook in my bookshelf (see picture below). I am hoping for a VERY clean look, where i want the filter located on the shelf below the tank that is hidden behind the pictures.

I was looking at the Zoo med Nano 10, or 30. But im concerned about the length of tubes, and it also sounds like it needs some (reasonable) modifications, but has mixed reviews. Does anyone have any suggestions for this setup?

Also bonus question, any suggestions on a compact and easily hidden heater?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not sure about the filter, but Fluval has a new heater line (M Series) that is reflective so that it blends into the tank better.

You could also consider under-gravel heating cables, which would be completely hidden.

Love the hanging plant bowls, by the way.

·
Registered
192 Posts
How much height do you have to work with? Doesn't look like much room. The only height spec of the ZooMed Nano 10 I could find says it is 11.3" tall, but that could be the height of the packaging, not the filter itself.

I currently have a Finnex PX-360 sitting beside the 10g on my desk. It's about 8" tall, and if I recall it comes with hoses that are each 2ft in length. It's very quiet and has been working great for about a year now. If you run this filter (or any filter this size) under your tank, try to place the filter inside a leak-proof container and watch it for the first few months to make sure it doesn't leak. Just a cautionary tale based on others who have placed similarly sized filters under their tanks.

For a heater, an inline heater would be your best bet, but they can be bulky. I'd try a fully submersible heater, then attempt to hide it behind decor or plants.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do you have a particular budget for the canister/heater? I ask because they can range from ~$30 - ~$150, some people (like myself) aren't looking to spend over $100 on a filter if they can avoid it.

On another note, it looks like you may want to brace that shelf a bit before putting a bigger tank on it. I don't know if it's just the picture or not but it looks like that tank is bending it. Would want to put a tank that 2x as big/2x as expensive on it, just to have it break and ruin everything.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much height do you have to work with? Doesn't look like much room. The only height spec of the ZooMed Nano 10 I could find says it is 11.3" tall, but that could be the height of the packaging, not the filter itself.
Luckily the shelves are moveable so I can make more space below if needed. Do you think the Filter you are using has enough power to overcome the water mass in the line?

Do you have a particular budget for the canister/heater? I ask because they can range from ~$30 - ~$150, some people (like myself) aren't looking to spend over $100 on a filter if they can avoid it.

On another note, it looks like you may want to brace that shelf a bit before putting a bigger tank on it. I don't know if it's just the picture or not but it looks like that tank is bending it. Would want to put a tank that 2x as big/2x as expensive on it, just to have it break and ruin everything.
No, i would like to remain under $80, but I'm willing to pay for quality and higher assurance that i won't have a leak and a syphon problem.

Yes totally will be reinforcing the shelf with a 2x4 mid span, that is directly screwed into the rest of the bookshelf structure. The current 5 gallon is probably pushing the limits of what that shelf should hold, especially with the weight being biased toward the front.

I just found this little guy that has an integrated heater! Very Very Tempting. Has anyone used one of these OASE filters, with enough strength to overcome that water column?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Luckily the shelves are moveable so I can make more space below if needed. Do you think the Filter you are using has enough power to overcome the water mass in the line?
I'm not sure. It seems others on the internet have had success though.

I just found this little guy that has an integrated heater! Very Very Tempting. Has anyone used one of these OASE filters, with enough strength to overcome that water column?

I think I'd go with this option if space and hiding equipment is a concern. They make some good stuff.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used a Finnex PX-360 on a 5 gallon for 4 years, and still working. It is very quiet and reliable. The flow is strong for 5 gal, and IMO would be slightly on the low side but OK for 10g.

Recently i set up a 10 gallon tank got a Oase Filtosmart 100 with a heater. Likes it too. IMO the flow is just right for 10g, and the built in heater really takes the hassle out of heating. Using a lily pipe with surface skimmer, my tank has zero electrical equipment in it :).

So in short, I would go with the Filtosmart, but if you go for the PX-360 it probably will work too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts