The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these beautiful rocks I'd love to use that I collected locally. Iron rich, coal rich, and most affect the water parameters, gh/ph mostly. If I were to epoxy them, would this make them safe enough to use in the tank?

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
It's going to give them a permanent wet look but glossy, so try to find something with a matte, satin, or flat finish would be best.

Try soaking them in water with know parameters then check to see what changes, but if you do it might be a while before they dry good enough to be covered with epoxy, etc.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I think epoxy is safe to use, but I don't like the look. It doesn't look natural and has an artificial sheen to it even underwater. Also if you add up the cost of using it on a large aquarium project, it's not that much cheaper than just using something really nice like ADA AS New soil which is sold by volume rather than weight. I compared some pretty gravel at Petsmart and I wasn't saving even $50 over the equivalent volume of ASN needed for a 120gal tank.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't want the glossy look if I can avoid it. I'll try some smaller stones and see if I can find a matte finish out there. I stopped counting at 15 on both tests as I didn't want to waste the solution. It's more than twice what my water is originally.

This is coal and iron rich rock, sandstones, and lime. I want to use locally collected stones, but wanted to use shrimp to mimic 'crawdaddies.'

Not a matter of cost, but a matter of wanting something of a biotope with a twist. These rocks are too beautiful not to utilize in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Show us pictures of those beautiful rocks.

If the epoxy is too shiny, you could dust them with very fine silica sand/dust to dull them up, but not hide the coarse textures and colors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.