The Planted Tank Forum banner

expert on stands, will this support my tank?

2556 Views 25 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  PlantedRich
I'm getting varying opinions
I got this made for me for my 40 breeder tank
and the maker who's made stands and tanks for me before assured me it'll support
but then a buddy of mine said it might not
can someone tell me if it'll support a 40 breeder tank?

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Yes, it will. Check something before you fill it though, push the side of your tank, if the stand shifts even slightly screw a couple 2x4 supports on.
Myself, and this is just my opinion, it looks like the top frame is only supported to the legs by screws.
This is the build structure I always use, you will notice all the weight from the top frame gets transferred directly to the floor through the pink boards. Yours looks like the only thing holding the top frame to the legs is screws. Is it glued and screwed? Only screwed? I always overbuild when it comes to supporting a large volume of water, my stands could probably support 10 times the weight on them, but I sleep easy with that in mind.

For piece of mind, if it isn't glued, I would cut 4 2x4's to put in as "pink" boards. They would make it much more solid.

See less See more
Reactions: 5
That is a pretty bad stand design IMO. I personally wouldn't use it but it could be totally fine. A design like the above poster suggests is much more solid.
Myself, and this is just my opinion, it looks like the top frame is only supported to the legs by screws.
This is the build structure I always use, you will notice all the weight from the top frame gets transferred directly to the floor through the pink boards. Yours looks like the only thing holding the top frame to the legs is screws. Is it glued and screwed? Only screwed? I always overbuild when it comes to supporting a large volume of water, my stands could probably support 10 times the weight on them, but I sleep easy with that in mind.

For piece of mind, if it isn't glued, I would cut 4 2x4's to put in as "pink" boards. They would make it much more solid.

I definitely agree with Buddha. I would for sure screw in those 'pink' supports to transfer the weight through real wood instead of just screws. It will also help with torque which would be an issue with your current design. If it even starts to twist at all it could come down. Probably wouldn't..but with 40 gallons of water at stake I would for sure add those.

First thank you guys for answers.

The thing is glued and screwed. Do you think i can get away with that without adding the extra pink boards? (american laziness)
@The Big Buddha has an excellent signature describing this situation.

I vote for adding the boards!
Reactions: 1
haha you got me there :)

I'll go to the home depot today and see what i can do as a handyman. Don't take my word on it though..
You had mentioned before your maker had built you other stands and aquariums, myself I would be second guessing stuff that has been built by this guy. The fact that it is glued though is a good step, however not the ideal setup for something holding up such a huge load that can cause that much damage to your dwelling.
For those people who have never had a 90g tank let go a seam, they may not be as cautious as myself. Some have held tanks on stands much worse for twenty+ years without any issues, but the piece of mind it gives me to have these things overbuilt seems more important to some than to others.

Best of luck at Home Depot today, if you have any questions or need ideas let us know. A good solid stand build is much simpler than some may think, it's finishing one nicely that takes the know how and talent.

This is a case where I agree with the other posts above. Not a good design. Although it "might" hold, we have to ask what happens on the odd chance that it doesn't?
I've done lots of wood and the way screws work is not the best in this case. They are tough to pull out but to be machined to put the threads on, the metal is not as strong against shear/sideways pressure. They tend to be brittle. And what can happen is one screw shears off but that first one breaking leaves more pressure on the one next to it. So you don't get just a bit of sagging like nails gradually pulling out but a sudden , pop, pop, pop and crash. If one corner joint gives the upright legs wind up pushing directly on the bottom glass of the tank and that is not going to be good. The ring supporting the tank weight needs to rest directly on wood all the way to the floor. Glue helps but good design is better.
If you object to adding vertical support, install one 3/8" lag bolt through each vertical at the top to connect the horizontal to the vertical. Make sure the hole is the correct size.
Add the pink boards and then sheath it in plywood for some shear resistance, even if you plan on covering with a nicer wood for finishing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
:nerd:

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 3
Awesome, now you just need to make a skin you can easily remove, to hide the skeleton.
Awesome, now you just need to make a skin you can easily remove, to hide the skeleton.
how are you even posting with no internet where your at?
I'm glad to see you've supported you top boards better and all the good advice. I'm totally new to planted tanks, but have been building around the house for four decades.
how are you even posting with no internet where your at?
What would give you that idea? I have ADSL, even though it is a little slow.
What would give you that idea? I have ADSL, even though it is a little slow.
follow up joke from the other old thread, i don't think you remember :crying:0:)
Looks great, you just have to paint them pink and you're all done !

Were all the dimensions identical? A good snug fit?

No worries now, and you've got a super solid build. Great job !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.