The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Tank update as of today.... Ended up doing some trimming and replanting the trimmings!!! Gonna start co2 on this tank soon
Before trimming

After trimming

Reactions: Ben Belton

·
Registered
4 Posts
chemical ferts

You just set up a tank with a deep soil substrate. Why would you need more fertilizers? I would refer you to Diane Walstad's book; "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yellow water, according to Diane Walstad, is due to humic substances from decomposed plant substances. Pg. 16: " humic substances are natural water purifiers that provide an important mechanism by which plants protect fish from metal toxicity."

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yellow water, according to Diane Walstad, is due to humic substances from decomposed plant substances. Pg. 16: " humic substances are natural water purifiers that provide an important mechanism by which plants protect fish from metal toxicity."
I don't understand why your saying this.... I don't have yellow water I have a finnex planted plus 24/7 led fixture that changes the light throughout the day.... And for my soil substrate.... If you don't use ferts you will burn out the nutrients in your substrate

Bump:
Looks really good. What type of driftwood is that?
I couldn't tell you had it for like 7 years just bought it from a LFS with plants attached

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well it's been a while so here is an update on the tank.... had co2 on it for probably 2 months now, added 6 neon tetras and 6 glowlight tetras

Reactions: Monrankim
21 - 25 of 25 Posts