The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone kept this plant for a while? What were your thoughts on it? Mine is doing surprisingly well, to the point that I will probably have to trim it soon. At first I thought it was too good to be true, but sometimes I feel like I might enjoy a fully green version more? I think it's neat that it is pinkish/orangish at the top.. But I'm wondering how people feel about how it fits into different scapes.

I don't think I've really seen it perfectly fit into a scape yet. Mine is fairly lively, but my concern is that it might appear to ppl as being browning or not flourishing? I will keep searching, but what are everyone's opinions on this plant?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've always liked the look of a full carpet of dwarf hairgrass with 1 or 2 bushy stems of cambomba furcata in the middle. Nothing else really. Though my furcata was always redish pink all over.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've always liked the look of a full carpet of dwarf hairgrass with 1 or 2 bushy stems of cambomba furcata in the middle. Nothing else really. Though my furcata was always redish pink all over.
I feel like it's tricky b/c Furcata is so contrasting.. Currently my Furcata is at the very back all the way to the right. To it's left is Hygro Sunset(the pink hygro,) and I'm thinking after that, some long green plants. Planning on having the back row all cabomba type long bunch plants.. Maybe that will give the tank a sense of composition. As long as the Furcata is doing well, I'm going to try keeping it in the mix.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I have Cobomba Carolina and at first all the stem grew rapidly to the water surface (30") so I trimmed them down to the 4th or 5th node thinking the plant may make shoots from the nodes just below and sometime this did happen but other plants just go kinda dormant. So I pulled up a couple of each and both had good root systems after 2 or 3 months in the tank, so I changed to trimming down to the very first node because I noticed that the plants that had done better were putting out multiple stems from the base of the plant. I have just started this and await the results but I think it will work better.

To be safe I replant my trimming and let some plants start over to produce a new root system.

I also think Cobomba growth slows as the tank temps rise in the summer heat, mine had seemed to do better when the tank was at 78 degrees but right now the water is 82 degrees and the Cobomba has slowed a bit, this could be related to something else so it's not really a fact.

I was just reading about it in the plant profiles and another person mentioned it did really well in their 90 gallon coldwater set up, so.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have Cobomba Carolina and at first all the stem grew rapidly to the water surface (30") so I trimmed them down to the 4th or 5th node thinking the plant may make shoots from the nodes just below and sometime this did happen but other plants just go kinda dormant. So I pulled up a couple of each and both had good root systems after 2 or 3 months in the tank, so I changed to trimming down to the very first node because I noticed that the plants that had done better were putting out multiple stems from the base of the plant. I have just started this and await the results but I think it will work better.

To be safe I replant my trimming and let some plants start over to produce a new root system.

I also think Cobomba growth slows as the tank temps rise in the summer heat, mine had seemed to do better when the tank was at 78 degrees but right now the water is 82 degrees and the Cobomba has slowed a bit, this could be related to something else so it's not really a fact.

I was just reading about it in the plant profiles and another person mentioned it did really well in their 90 gallon coldwater set up, so.
Mine is at 82-84 right now, and still growing very fast. Faster than many of the "easier" plants in the tank actually. It's starting to block out some plants so I'm due to trim it. It's in a 10 gallon and I would estimate the Furcata is at about 11-12 inches for several stems. The tops look so vibrant, I'm thinking of taking off 4 inches from the bottom of the plant..

I think this way the plant would look most like it looks right now. At which point all stems should be roughly 7-8 inches.. Does this sound like an okay move?

Also, anyone know how to get this plant to flower? It makes a great violet flower.. Not sure how to make it do that though..

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Just be sure that when you are trimming and replanting that you are providing enough space between each stem to allow for light to penetrate between them or else the lower needles will tend to fall away. I keep both of these species in my 75 and they are doing well, the furcata especially. I am already in need of my second trimming as many stems are breaking the surface and I've only had this plant for about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just be sure that when you are trimming and replanting that you are providing enough space between each stem to allow for light to penetrate between them or else the lower needles will tend to fall away. I keep both of these species in my 75 and they are doing well, the furcata especially. I am already in need of my second trimming as many stems are breaking the surface and I've only had this plant for about 2 weeks.
I have them bunched super tight actually and shoved in the back right corner. I've been keeping close tabs on the whole plant though and they lower hasn't fallen apart yet.. Kind of surprised by this as the lower areas of my Sunset Hygro has been having this very issue. After I trim it, I will keep more space for it anyway, just as a preventative measure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.