The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never seen these in LFS before, but I'd heard them mentioned on forums from time to time. They sort of look like dwarf cichlids to me. Can anyone tell me about their personalities? Looking for a main fish for a 10 Gallon, and currently an Appisto Cac is in the lead. However I'd like to consider all options.. Are these a relatively hardy fish?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've never seen these in LFS before, but I'd heard them mentioned on forums from time to time. They sort of look like dwarf cichlids to me. Can anyone tell me about their personalities? Looking for a main fish for a 10 Gallon, and currently an Appisto Cac is in the lead. However I'd like to consider all options.. Are these a relatively hardy fish?

Thanks!

Are you talking about KeyHole Chiclids? Rams (GBR or Bolivian) Rams are not as hardy as some may think. They like soft if I am not mistaken, with a pH of around 6.5 I guess it all depends on your experiance level, but 10 gallons? Get a Betta.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
They are small fish, about 1.5" full grown (if your talking about the scarlet badis. They have a HUGE personality packed into a tiny body lol. They are quite hardy given you keep water quality high. The drawback about them is that they rarely eat any prepared foods. They are very deliberate eaters too, so fast fish that would steal their food is not a good choice with them. I have managed to get them to eat Frozen foods such as Cyclops, frozen blood worms, frozen tubiflex worms. Females are rarely found for sale, and males can get a bit territorial. They also stick around the bottom of the tank. Great little fish.

An apisto would not do well in a tank that small, they need more space, but you could fit a few male scarlet badis in there.

There are other species of badis, they are much larger, and in my opinion not as colorful as the scarlet.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Dario&species=dario&id=41

I think there is some relation to CICHLIDS/ ANABANTOIDS somewhere lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.