The Planted Tank Forum banner

Experience with MightyJet DC Pump?

192 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Bootsy
I’ve got a 25-gallon WB peninsula AIO tank. I need to replace the return pump. It’s a sicce, which was an upgrade from what came with the tank. Both pumps ran great (quiet and reliable) for about a year then started to rattle or buzz loudly. Then they won’t restart and I end up taking them apart every week. The sicce isn’t even gunked up enough to cause the problem.

Noise is an issue because it’s on a credenza right behind my head in my home office.

I’m considering the MightyJet DC as a replacement. I like the idea of being able to turn flow up or down without taking the pump out. From what I’ve read, it’s quiet of not running at full bore.

Any thoughts? Or recs for an alternative?

Thanks!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,344 Posts
I don't know about the MightyJet, but I would go DC for sure. All my pumps are DC and I will never go back to AC. I use Jabeo, and Orlushy, but I don't know if they make a small one. If it will physically fit, then you can dial in the GPH with a DC pump.

· Registered
4,917 Posts
I
I’ve got a 25-gallon WB peninsula AIO tank. I need to replace the return pump. It’s a sicce, which was an upgrade from what came with the tank. Both pumps ran great (quiet and reliable) for about a year then started to rattle or buzz loudly. Then they won’t restart and I end up taking them apart every week. The sicce isn’t even gunked up enough to cause the problem.

Noise is an issue because it’s on a credenza right behind my head in my home office.

I’m considering the MightyJet DC as a replacement. I like the idea of being able to turn flow up or down without taking the pump out. From what I’ve read, it’s quiet of not running at full bore.

Any thoughts? Or recs for an alternative?

Thanks!
It looks like your current pump is rated at 1000 L/H or around 265 gallons per hour.

It is actually somewhat challenging to find a pump this small if you actually want native ability to control flow below that 265 gallons per hour rate.

Jebao makes a 1500 model of their pump line but even though that critter is truly small, it's still rated at 400 gallons per hour. I actually own this pump and have it on my bookshelf newt tank attached to my filter. Here is what my canister filter setup looks like with that pump:

For some sense of scale, that's 1/2 inner diameter tubing plugged into it.

My version of this pump either came shipped without a needed O-ring or it just doesn't have one for the connection of the intake to the barbed fitting. This meant it leaked until I wrapped some Teflon tape around the part. This is a non-issue in your usage as the pump would be internal, BUT you will have the issue of getting the flow down to the 265 g/h level to match your prior tank rate. I honestly have no idea what rate the different levels are with this pump. What I can say is this pump is absolutely dead silent after startup if your ear is farther then 1 foot from the pump itself. I need the pump to be a LOT slower then it's lowest level, so I use the ball valve built into the quick disconnects in the above picture to reduce things further. You could install a barbed ball valve into your plumbing to accomplish this same goal. Something like this.

All of that gets you a pump that costs half as much as the mighty dc pump you linked and will produce significantly more flow or less as desired.

Or you can just buy the pump you linked and call it done :p

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! The small pump chamber on this tank is a challenge. I’ve also got fish that don’t necessarily appreciate much flow so being able to adjust the flow externally is a big plus. I’ve got the sicce turned way down but it’s a pain to take it out to tinker with the flow.

I will do some diligence and check out other DC options but will probably go with the MJ.

This hobby is maddening sometimes,

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: Bought the Mighty Jet mini. All the less expensive ones I saw were just too powerful and I doubt I could dial them back enough for the application.

Anyway, it’s sort of a tiny miracle. Controllable flow and dead quiet. Like, I keep thinking it‘s stopped working. So — fingers crossed — it seems perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts