The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I upgraded my Tek fixture to a Maristar fixture. My WPG went up from (2x24) 2.4 to (150w) 7.5 on a 20 gallon. I'm doing a midday burst with the MH because I thought it would be too much for the tank. It's only been a couple of days and I had more pearling with the 2.4 WPG. I thought this was kind of strange. Maybe I should keep the MH on all day?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Probably keep it high off the tank's water surface and then keep the photo period short. I would go with about 7hrs and go from there.

·
Registered
467 Posts
wpg doesn't work.

what kind of bulb are you using? do you know the spectral peaks? my experience with mh was very positive once i got the proper bulb for growing plants. marine bulbs give you gimped growth.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I use 10,000 with no problems and have 2 PC's 6700 on the sides to get a full spectrum.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using the ADA bulbs. I increased the photo period to six hours. Plants are pearling like crazy again.

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
originally i had 255/65w cf running 10hrs a day, pearling occured infrequently, and i wasn't sure when or why it would pearl when it did.

now i use the cf's and also run a 70w MH for 5 hours a day in the evening, the plants pearl much more vigirously now than they used to. the pearling begins about 30min after the MH turn on and ends shortly after it turns off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts