The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I purchased a bunch of Eleocharis Montevidensis, Here is what I was expecting !! I nice tall, gently swaying in the current grass..... (see stock photo)
Next photo is my tank today ! Not quite what I was expecting ! Is this something that happens often ? Clearly the plant I have is not Eleocharis Montevidensis. I have not decided what I am going to do with it, cuz it's kinda growing on me !! Hahahaha. What do you think ?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
About a month ago I purchased a bunch of Eleocharis Montevidensis, Here is what I was expecting !! I nice tall, gently swaying in the current grass..... (see stock photo)
Next photo is my tank today ! Not quite what I was expecting ! Is this something that happens often ? Clearly the plant I have is not Eleocharis Montevidensis. I have not decided what I am going to do with it, cuz it's kinda growing on me !! Hahahaha. What do you think ?
Hi Deedledee,

Looks like Eleocharis vivipara
-Roy

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Seattle_Aquarist
Yes! Exactly what I thought ! I looked it up in my Aquarium Enclyclopedia by Christel Kasselmann, and in her book
it says that they are often mistaken ! It's kinda twisty, but I might keep it a while longer to see what it does. My original plan was to plant something tall to hide the internal filter box on the Mega Flex. I think once it fills in, it will cover the area that I was truing to conceal, so I won't rip it out yet ! Thanks Roy :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW That first pic you showed is not Montevidensis, more likely Parvula. That's a small nano and Parvula can grow 8-10" and is suitable for background. Montevidensis is much thicker than that.
Yeah that first photo is from one of my aquarium magazines and was labeled as Montevidensis? Apparently this particular Eleocharis is often mislabled ,or in my case purchased from a reputable aquarium plant company. I would never have ordered Eleocharis vipara on purpose, due to it's unruly growth pattern. The good news is, my shrimp love it ! So I will keep it for them, for now...
Thanks for your insite :)

Reactions: Asteroid

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Montevidensis doesn't grow thin and wispy at all more like thick reeds.
Yes, I know ! I ordered Eleocharis Montevidensis, and got this tangled mess instead. I was really wanting a nice tall grass, this stuff is crazy outa control !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.