The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -
I just went to Exotic Aquarium's new location yesterday, for the first time. I have to say -- very impressive! Very large store, LOTS of tanks, fish, supplies, wood/rock/gravel, etc.
This is probably the largest store in Sacramento -- even larger than Capitol Aquarium and Fish Planet, as far as square-footage. I didn't really look to closesly at the supplies, as I was on a time schedule and wanted to get some fish. They had a tank of Rummynose tetras for $1.99/ea, but they were sold out. They also had Galaxy Rasboras (aka Celestial Pearl Danios) for $3.99. I think they had 5 or 6. Those were captive-bred. I saw a tank full of red cherry shrimp for $2.99/ea I believe. They had several cool plecos and just about anything you can think of. Some nice reef (trough-type) setups in the back. One of those must have been 300-400g at least. They also have a very large African Cichlid display in the front --- 180-200g I'm guessing.
Now for my story....
I ended up buying a 2" long Bushynose pleco($3.99) and 5 cardinal tetras ($11.99), but unfortunately four of the cards died within a day. One even died before I got him out of the bag --- I slowly acclimated for 1 - 1.5 hrs. The bushynose pleco looks to have some ich---grrrr!!! I turned up the temp of the tank and hope it doesn't spread to clown loaches or anyone else. I went back to get the 4 replacement cardinals today (7 day return) and they replaced them, but these ones are final (no replacing fish that were already replacements). Anyway, it's not my tank or me, so they must have been sickly.
Not too sure I'll be going back anytime soon. IMHO, the store in Sac with the healthiest fish is Fish Planet. I've bought ~12 cardinals from there and only lost 1 or 2. Anyway, that's just my $0.02. Great store though, with lots of potential. Maybe they could QT their new arrivals more, if that's what they were...

-Ryan

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey Ryan, cool that you finally made it over there.
I've only bought a Male Betta (still alive :) but had minor fin rot when I purchased him and has not recovered from it).
I also bought a Visi-Derm heater, which was malfunctioning, so I returned it in exchange for store credit.
Bought some cool looking Driftwood for 10 bux.
They got a lot of stuff, but I can never get there before they close.

I also think the store would be a lot better if they hired people that knew about fish-keeping /products/ etc instead of hiring, what looks to me like family:flick:

Hi Tina, what is Aquarium Societies?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I found another cardinal tetra dead this morning. It was either the 5th one that I originally bought, or one of the four replacements. Either way, I just threw it away and won't be going back. Cool store, but sickly fish it seems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought my tank and stand there. Decent prices on equipment and a great selection. I almost bought some ottos there one time but the tank next to them didn't look good at all and it looks like they share water among the tanks in the same row. I ended up getting the ottos at Albany Aquarium. I like the fact that they quarantine their fish for 30 days before they sell them.

For local fish, I think I like O st the best. They always have clean tanks and they don't share water across multiple tanks. I haven't been there in a while, I might just have to make a run there today at lunch!

-Scott

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't recall ever buying fish at O St, except a Gold severum. I've been in there plenty of times and while small, the store is pretty clean and seemingly healthy. Not much of a plant selection though, as is the norm for fish stores. Too bad Aqua Forest and Albany Aq aren't closer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.