The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating getting a large school of these for my 40 gallon.

The tank currently houses my African cichlids, and I'm debating selling them for something different (extremely different).

I was wondering if anyone has kept these, and has advice for me? The tank is a 40 tall with a bunch of slate in it from the africans, no plants. Will they be alright or do I have to add plants, driftwood, etc.?

Any tips are loved, thanks!

Andrew

·
Registered
199 Posts
dont know much bout Bucktoothed, but they grow pretty big (think 5-6"). Read an thread awhile back, and said needs to be kept in group of 10 or more, or they pic @ each other. And since they're tetras, I'd assume plants and driftwood for their comfort. good luck man...

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had them a couple years ago they grew about 3 or so inches, full of energy and they`ll skin a feeder in 30 seconds!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol...5-6 inches seems a little big. The majority of sites say like 3-4 inches.

So I'm still not sure whether I want to go with these, or stick to africans. I've had the africans for 2 years, and they're just not doing it for me. They hide alot, and only come out when I feed. I'm not sure why, as I have like 8 full grown saulosis, and 4 yellow dorsal labs, who are about 3 inches long. They don't fight, but I'm still not sure why they hide alot.

I'm not sure, just thought I would explore my options. I need to make up my mind by next week...

·
Registered
199 Posts
lol.... I Pledge the 5th. from what I read, not many pep keep these. and they'll be fine w/ larger fish or just by themselves. Just not w/ other peaceful community fish...

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
lol...5-6 inches seems a little big. The majority of sites say like 3-4 inches.

So I'm still not sure whether I want to go with these, or stick to africans. I've had the africans for 2 years, and they're just not doing it for me. They hide alot, and only come out when I feed. I'm not sure why, as I have like 8 full grown saulosis, and 4 yellow dorsal labs, who are about 3 inches long. They don't fight, but I'm still not sure why they hide alot.

I'm not sure, just thought I would explore my options. I need to make up my mind by next week...
kinda a weird questions i got for ya... but how often do you feed your fish?I've noticed that if fish are fed alot they tend to come out less... cause they have enough food that they don't have to come out and see the "big scary people that are gonna eat them"

also a second thing you can do is not feed them for about 5 days... then whenever you walk past the tank just drop in like 2 pellets at a time so they have to start associating you with food...

F

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had them for 2 years a month from next week.

They're on their second generation, and have always been like this.

I used to feed every day, and now, because they hide alot, I forget about them, and they're lucky to get food every 4-5 days...They're not skinny, in fact they're very fat, but they just don't come out...lmao

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's in my room, so I walk past it in the morning before school, when I come home from school, and at night, so it sees like, no traffic...lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.