The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been keeping tanks now for 6 years and 5 months ago decided to embark on a 55 gallon planted tank endeavor. It has been by far my favorite experience in the hobby and am hoping to use this forum to further my knowledge in this area.

Below is my current set-up:

Stock:
10 Harlequin Rasbora
8 Neon Tetra
5 Panda Cory
3 Otto's
12 Red Cherry Shrimp
4 Assassin Snails
Moneywort
Dwarf Hairgrass
Java Fern
Amazon Sword
Anacharis

Equipment:
48" Fluval Sky LED
2 AC50 Filters
Flourite Substrate

Maintenance:
Water Changes every 5 days
Flourish Root-tabs every 3 months
Flourish Liquid Supplement every 6 days

Things have gone well however I am looking for any recommendations you may have given that this is my first planted tank undertaking. Also interested in adding a freshwater refugium.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
You're off to a good start. I appreciate the fact you've created a small dense forest of vallisneria to one side or area in the tank. I believe it always looks better than used as a background. Once the java ferns get established and take off, you may end up wanting to move them to the back ground. Then again, maybe not. Post updates at least each month. It's always interesting to see the progress of a planting. Good luck.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Welcome, and I am glad you are enjoying your planted tank. Live plants certainly add a new dimension to aquarium keeping. Your tank is off to a good start. If you are wanting to add any more plants, you could probably add a few cryptocornes to your tank. They would likely do well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Looks like it's coming along well. If I could make the recommendation to expand your schools. The otos would be really happy with 8+, as well as the tetras with 12+. You have a huge tank! Definitely take advantage. Otos are one of my favorite fish, they stay small, are very sociable (one of the reasons I love them over siamese algae eaters) and really do keep the tank spotless in a large shoal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.