The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is, i unfortunatly neglected my tank for about 3 months besides 2 water changes .. i now have EXCESSIVE bba and other algea growths

im thinking that i am going to have to pull all the wood and rocks and bleach 20-1 to kill that algea and basicly restart everything (new substrate new fast growers and dose properly from there) but before i do so i was wondering if i should try to treat the tank, but im not sure it can come back from being this bad ... all leaves on all plants have bba and the wood is completly covered... i actually had bba growing on my CO2 diffuser :confused:

before i started my tank 1 year ago i didnt do research so my base is just gravel not any form of substrate ... im at about 3.5 watts per gallon 20lb co2 bottle and a aquaclear 300 on this tank ... now let me have it whats your opinion

Tear down clean and redo (temporarily putting my fishes and shrimps in the baby tank (5 gal low tech)
or try to treat this mess slowly

IDEAS PLEASE!!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPdate

thusfar i removed wood and rocks and 20-1 bleached them i will be doing the same to my plant leaves later today.
i've been looking thru forums and im going out now to buy a fresh bottle of excel for OD purposes and im going to crank up my co2. lower my light for a few days and see what happens.

but doing my routine filter change i noticed i need to buy new filtration media so im probably going to lose alot of beneficials ... this is gonna be a rough task to get thru but im hoping i will be able to salvage most of my plants and not loose a single fish in the process!

i think i need to build a better reactor cause the hagen ladder diffuser i am getting the impression that its pretty much useless unless its in a very small tank
and perhaps upgrade to a canister filter system to lower the loss of co2 via disturbed water..

hmm much to think about and do!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bleach

i forgot to ask this ... after bleaching plants and wood do i just rinse them off and put them right back in the tank??

·
Registered
472 Posts
You could also boil the wood for a few hours rather than bleaching it. It'll kill anything living in there, and you won't run the risk of adding bleach to your aquarium.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can dip bleached plants and hardware in a bath of water having a dechlorinator in it too. I found I could get the BBA out of the tank without replacing any substrate, but most of the plants had to be tossed. Only the really tough ones like anubias and Java fern survived well when I bleach dipped them. Vals survived, but only as stubs with roots. Alternathera Reinickii survived better than I expected, but I only kept the growing tops. Keeping the BBA from coming back was a major problem. Without good CO2 and good circulation all over the tank I couldn't do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yikes

Well this is not good, from removing the fish from this nasty mess of a tank to the fresh well kept one i have lost 2 danios and a tiger barb but in the tank the bba is turning red and bubbling, but like you said hoppy i think my plants are to far hurt by the bba to save ... im thinking its time to pull the system sterilize the wood and hardware, and purchase a real substrate and build the riverbed i was trying for since my fish are safe from this tank

:icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
researching

researching here and finding rex's site ( how so very useful) i found i think one of my problems ... thinking i was introducing sufficient co2 into my tank with my 20lb bottle and the hagen ladder i am very mistaken ... as i have a huge amount of water disturbance from the HOB filter, the air stone and the power head. so im going to drop from the old school ( things my dad did 20+ years ago) and remove the airstone and change from the hob (put that on my other tank which is not planted) and move to a canister of the ehiem sort. rex tells me i can plumb in my co2 and heater so i can have that space back in my tank and remove prettymuch all the mechanicals to the cabinet.

thankyou rex and everyone else who posts usefull info here

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.