The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Excel but just wondered if I'm really just wasting it.

I don't do the initial dose after the water change. I only dose 10 ml daily. Is this a waste of time or is it still helping the plants?

With initial dose on my 75 gallon I would be putting in 40 ml initial and then 45 ml for the week, which would be 85 ml total.
The way I'm dosing I'm adding 70 ml a week.

I haven't taken into consideration that a 75 gallon actually has probably closer to 65 gallons of water so that might help me to be closer to the right dose.

What do you think? waste or not?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I don't think it's a waste. I am using it in two of my tanks of occasional spots of BBA and in my 10 gallon at work twice a week (no CO2). If you are wondering if it works, you can just stop using it and see. I suspect you'll see a difference. I know I did, once I started using it.

As for the initial dose, I don't do that either. Even when you inject CO2, you don't turn up the bubble rate after a water change, so I don't see why I would want to do that with Excel. Plus I have shrimps in two of the tanks, and am not sure how the double dose would affect them.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
As for the initial dose, I don't do that either. Even when you inject CO2, you don't turn up the bubble rate after a water change, so I don't see why I would want to do that with Excel. Plus I have shrimps in two of the tanks, and am not sure how the double dose would affect them.
After a water change if you were using a controller I bet it sure would crank out the co2. I have been only dosing Excel on my big tank after my water change, just to help get carbon to the plants (if I have interupted the co2 levels mid-day with my water change). I did double dosing on a non-pressurized co2 tank and it didnt effect my shrimp. I think the OD problem is when people accidently use the large wc amount for thier daily dose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts