The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So i was just reading around and was curious as to what works better: Excel or the Hagen CO2 system? I have a 38G tank and i am low-mid tech. I dont want to invest in a CO2 system just yet. Will excel suffice for my plants to grow well? I have the hagen glo 2x39W with 10K/6700K.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey,

So i was just reading around and was curious as to what works better: Excel or the Hagen CO2 system? I have a 38G tank and i am low-mid tech. I dont want to invest in a CO2 system just yet. Will excel suffice for my plants to grow well? I have the hagen glo 2x39W with 10K/6700K.
Go ahead and get HAgen CO2..... You can also adjust the amount of yeast. What is great about this is that all you need to do is buy Baking soda & yeast.

Baking soda slows down react, but it extends the life of the fermentation reaction. When Yeast converts sugar into Ethanol and releases CO2, CO2 reacts with water to form Carbonic acid.

So...................... Baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate - NaHCO3
The reaction looks like this = NaHCO3+ HC2H3O2 > NaC2H3O2 CO2 + H2O ......
In layman terms - acid + carbonate > salt + water + carbon dioxide. So with Baking soda you generate extra CO2. Enough in the crash course in Chemistry............... I'm a big Fan of Hagen's CO2 system...........

Well.... should you decide to get it... which I Highly recommend...... buy yourself a pocket scale (reads in grams). With this pocket scale, it will allow you measure out yeast and baking soda. Experiment with the quantity of yeast..... the more you add the faster the reaction is generated.

I found that 1.0 grams of yeast with 2 grams of Baking soda will give you a nice reaction. You can experiment with the quantity of yeast to find a desired CO2 rate. The hagen works best with tanks under 20 gallons........... Since you a tank greater than 20 gallons....... 2 Hagens system would be needed.... or you can play with the pocket scale and determine the right quantity of yeast ( I believe 1.5 grams works great.... should last within 20 days)

Good luck and I hope this helps..... Get it... or you could invest in compressed CO2 system

LAter!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use both depending on the tank size, Flourish Excel in all of my tanks and then combined with the Hagen CO2 system on my three with the most light. Eventually those will be converted over to use a pressurized CO2 system but like you I don't want spend the money on it just now. As was said previously, with a tank that size you really need two of the Hagen CO2 systems or a large DIY system.

Hey,

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
Both Excel and DIY CO2 will work. However, CO2 is more effective than Excel. In addition, Excel and DIY CO2, in the long run, will cost more than a pressurized setup, however, in the meantime, you can make use of either alternative.

Go ahead and get HAgen CO2..... You can also adjust the amount of yeast. What is great about this is that all you need to do is buy Baking soda & yeast.
Don't forget the sugar ;)

Baking soda slows down react, but it extends the life of the fermentation reaction.
This occurs because the baking soda (theoretically) provides some sort of buffering capability, preventing the mixture from acidifying too quickly.

The reaction looks like this = NaHCO3+ HC2H3O2 > NaC2H3O2 CO2 + H2O
The reaction you have made is invalid, and in addition, the two bolded items do not exist.

...... buy yourself a pocket scale (reads in grams). With this pocket scale, it will allow you measure out yeast and baking soda. Experiment with the quantity of yeast..... the more you add the faster the reaction is generated.
This is fine and all, but the point of DIY CO2 is to make it fast and easy ;) It is already a hassle having to deal with changing solutions every so often; I would hate to have to measure out the amount of yeast as well. Eyeballing it via a teaspoon is good enough.

Since you a tank greater than 20 gallons....... 2 Hagens system would be needed....
As already mentioned, by gheitman as well, you will need more than 1 Hagen DIY CO2 in order to maintain the levels of CO2 required in a planted tank.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could 1 Hagen system as well as excel work for a 38? I wouldn't want to place both of those contraptions on the back of my tank. lol

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Hi Alec

Those activator and stabilizer packets that come with the Hagen kit are expensive. They are simply yeast and baking soda. The following link has some DIY recipes for the Hagen kit. This will same you a lot of money.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/planted-tank-faq/10071-wanted-your-best-hagen-co2-recipes.html

The Hagen kit is only rated for aquariums up to 20g. Your aquarium is 38g. So, you see that more is needed. Excel will help to add more carbon, but it is only about a 6 if CO2 is rated at a 10.

Left C

·
Registered
28 Posts
Could 1 Hagen system as well as excel work for a 38? I wouldn't want to place both of those contraptions on the back of my tank. lol
Yes..... just add more Yeast..... use either a measuring spoon or a pocket scale.. (which I prefer).... and experiment what works best.

Remember, the more Yeast you add to the sugar.... the faster the reaction goes. The prepackaged yeast and baking is not enough..... so play with it and figure out what works best for your tank.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
You could buy one Hagen ladder and generate the co2 using 2 x 2 liter soda bottles connected with a "T"and 1 check valve. You could then alternate on a weekly basis replenishing one bottle per week. I did this for about a year and it grew plants well but, not consistent enough for me to avoid Black Beard Algae. I used Excel during this time as well. This was on a 46 Gallon bow front. I opted not to use baking soda so it would crank out the most co2 possible but that's why I had to replenish 1 bottle per week. It was quite amazing how much co2 I could get from yeast, turning the drop checker yellow with fresh bottles running. Cleaning sticky counters and algae out of the ladder was the biggest annoyance. :red_mouth

It was a good learning experience and an inexpensive way to build confidence in dealing with co2 gas. You will ultimately be using Excel during this period though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts