The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 90 gallon tank I recently upgraded to medium lighting. I have planted a bunch of fast growing stems and I'm injecting c02 with ei fert dosing. I have a bottle of excel laying around that I want to use up. I don't really need it for c02 but I was thinking I could use it to stunt algae while my plants get established. Can I just dose it per seachems instructions for algaecidal properties or do I need a stronger dose? Are any rotala species, sword species, Java fern, or lotus species known to be sensitive to a higher dose?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unplug your filters and pumps so as the water remain still, use a seringe and spot treat the algae. leave it for 5 min. and replug everything. you will see after a day the algae turning red that means its dead. Some people do triple dosing and it works for them but i just use the recommended dose and spot treat and it works great. Only trouble i had was with my amazon sword. the leaves melted when i injected directly on them. The rest of my plants have no problem with it. Within a couple of weeks my algae was reduced to minimum levels and the plants look great.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.