The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished doing a 10 day Excel overdose to get rid of some stubborn BBA. Tank looked the best that I had ever seen it. Things went fine for about a week, but now my water seems pretty cloudy. I can't tell for sure if it is GW or not. Right now it still just looks milky.

Any ideas? Anyone have this same prob after excel?

BTW, the excel did a great job on the BBA and I haven't seen any returning.

·
Registered
786 Posts
get a tall white plastic cup and put some tank water in it. You can usually tell if it is greenish (GW) or grayish (bacterial bloom) using that method. GW is caused by ammonia (even really small amounts) plus a lot of light, was there a lot of BBA killed off that caused a spike in ammonia?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's weird. Doesn't really look green. Tank starts out cloudy in the morning, but clears as the day goes by.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi -

I read somewhere that overdosing excel kills off bacteria in your filter. Following this, fish waste begins to build up in your water, then with the abundance of food the bacteria overmultiplies and you get grey water.

System should balance itself out as the newborn bacteria consumes the extra waste then starves off.

Cant remember where I read this, but I get grey water a couple days after I use excel to kill algae - every time.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Milky is an indication of bacterial bloom, not GW. I cannotbe sure excel is the culprit; however, because I have no reason to think it would kill of bacteria <you may have read that it did, but scientifically there is no reason it should> The very reason why you had BBA to begin with may be the reason for the instability and bacterial bloom. A UW sterilizer is great for things like this, but if you don't have one, just be patient. Get your levels balanced and it will go through this temporary puberty and clear up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My tank does the same thing its strange... In the morning is green water by end of the day is cleared up almost all the way...lights go out and the cycle starts over i am going batty it makes no sense i thought algae grew when the lights where on! lol an i checked the water truly is very green.. :)

I rigged up one of those 1 micron water filter floss cartriges to the intake of my Eheim and sure enough it was bright green by the end of the day... never was enough to clear the water though but with it running it never got as green in the morning... its 55g..fun fun :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.